• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AcuTemp Refrigerator

rustystud

I recently bought an "AcuTemp AX56L" HemaCool mobile blood storage and cooling refrigerator from fellow steel soldiers member "firefinder" .
It is awesome ! It weighs in at 148 Ibs so it's no light weight, this is a serious piece of equipment. It can operate on 120V A/C, 24V DC, 12V DC and internal batteries (for up to 8 hours in freeze mode) . It holds more then my RV's deep freeze and keeps it frozen to -9 F below zero ! (-23C) . It can also keep it at 35F degrees (cool mode) if you so desire.
After I received mine I started to test it. It takes about 12 hours to reach it's maximum freeze temperature, but after that you can open the lid and retrieve anything stored in there without hardly any temperature rise.
It uses an actual freezer compressor (that's one of the reasons it weighs so much) and the motorcycle size internal batteries are totally sealed (the other reason for the weight) . It came with the A/C cord, the 24V DC cord and operator and service manuals, a screwdriver (to remove the cover) a sponge, spare air filter and the operating system to load on your laptop to check the units function. All in all this is one primo unit ! I just wish I had more money to buy another !
This is going on my "Great Alaskan Adventure" for sure !

018.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg014.jpg012.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They are pretty sweet! I saw the ad on the classifieds but I couldn't pull the trigger on the $$. Man you are lucky.
You can borrow mine when you need it.

There is another style blood cooler that is smaller and thermo-electric. That means they have no moving parts! They run on very little current and can still hold a case of beer. Cool stuff for sure.

rustystud

You can borrow mine when you need it.

There is another style blood cooler that is smaller and thermo-electric. That means they have no moving parts! They run on very little current and can still hold a case of beer. Cool stuff for sure.
The smaller "thermo-electric" units are OK, but they cannot bring the temperature down enough to really "freeze" any thing. This unit can bring it down to -9F degrees ! That's cold even for a standard refrigerator/freezer ! Or even a modern deep freeze ! I say modern as the older units back in the 50's and 60's and 70's could do it. That was when R22 and the other commercial refrigerants was still allowed !
With this unit I can go on my Alaskan Adventure and bring my frozen dinners along. No need to try and cook ! Just reheat it in the microwave. Since I'll be bringing along my MEP-531 (2KW) that should handle my small microwave. I've also been known to have a "popsicle" when driving on a warm summer day !

Last edited:

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The smaller "thermo-electric" units are OK, but they cannot bring the temperature down enough to really "freeze" any thing. This unit can bring it down to -9F degrees ! That's cold even for a standard refrigerator/freezer ! Or even a modern deep freeze ! I say modern as the older units back in the 50's and 60's and 70's could do it. That was when R22 and the other commercial refrigerants was still allowed !
With this unit I can go on my Alaskan Adventure and bring my frozen dinners along. No need to try and cook ! Just reheat it in the microwave. Since I'll be bringing along my MEP-531 (2KW) that should handle my small microwave. I've also been known to have a "popsicle" when driving on a warm summer day !
So rusty how are you going to power the fridge?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

rustystud

So rusty how are you going to power the fridge?

The frig will be mounted in my "S250" shelter which is on my M105 trailer. That way I can use 24 volts DC when driving, (I have a dedicated 10 gauge wire for power to the trailer) and then switched to my generator (MEP-531) 120 volts AC when parked for the night. Since I can keep food frozen I can have "TV" dinners at night using my small micro-wave.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The frig will be mounted in my "S250" shelter which is on my M105 trailer. That way I can use 24 volts DC when driving, (I have a dedicated 10 gauge wire for power to the trailer) and then switched to my generator (MEP-531) 120 volts AC when parked for the night. Since I can keep food frozen I can have "TV" dinners at night using my small micro-wave.
You should test the internal batteries. Looks like in freeze mode they last 8 hours. If they charge during day might be sufficient for night and after the battery runs out the temp loss difference is 5 degrees after 4 more hours I think.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nice setup btw when you planning on going

rustystud

You should test the internal batteries. Looks like in freeze mode they last 8 hours. If they charge during day might be sufficient for night and after the battery runs out the temp loss difference is 5 degrees after 4 more hours I think.

That was one of the first things I did when I got it. They actually lasted 10 hours in freeze mode. Then they kept it cool for another 6 hours.

rustystud

That's a nice setup btw when you planning on going

Well the "Great Alaskan Adventure" keeps getting postponed due to the lack of a working area and all the new construction going on at home right now. Instead of installing my power steering system last summer, I spent it cleaning out my old shop and then watched it get demolished. My new shop isn't even in view yet as the ground hasn't even been cleared due to the horrible weather here. The land clearing crew cannot work when it is constantly raining. It just makes a mud pit.
So at this time I'm planning on waiting till summer till I can install the steering system and then go through my brakes. They haven't been touched in several years now. Oh I bleed the brakes every year, but the bearings need checking as does the brake shoes and drums. I'm also planning to change out all my wheel cylinders. Already have the new ones ready to go. I will be installing the larger bore wheel cylinders up front just like the A3 has.
Bottom line, it won't be until the summer of 2019 now before the great adventure begins. I just hope I still can make the trip then ! Maybe I will have my son do most of the driving.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....
Since I can keep food frozen I can have "TV" dinners at night using my small micro-wave.

Mate!?

Seriously, this isn't camping!
You need to cook over open flames like men do when going 'bush'.
Nothing else is acceptable!
;)

Very nice unit you have there, I wonder how it compares to my Engel fridge/Freezers,...?
Mine can freeze down to -18 Deg C

How many Ltrs capacity do you have with internal storage?
I have a 21ltr, a 40ltr and a 60ltr fridge/freezer, the 60ltr is a limited addition that supports out Anzac veterans.
Same colour as your new fridge.

I hope you get all those jobs you need to get done, done and have a great time on your Alaskan adventure.
Remember: 'Pics or it didn't happen!'
;)

Aussie.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,.....
'[

QUOTE=rustystud;2103039] Since I can keep food frozen I can have "TV" dinners at night using my small micro-wave.

Mate!?

;)

Very nice unit you have there, I wonder how it compares to my Engel fridge/Freezers,...?

I have a 21ltr, a 40ltr and a 60ltr fridge/freezer, the 60ltr is a limited addition that supports out Anzac veterans.

I hope you get all those jobs you need to get done, done and have a great time on your Alaskan adventure.
;)

Aussie.[/QUOTE]Aussie you guys are way ahead of our overlanding game.

rustystud

G'day everyone,.....

Mate!?

;)

;)

Aussie.

I have no problems "going bush" as you say. I was after all a Sargent in the USMC . I love to hike and camp. I still own sixteen sleeping bags ranging from 40 degrees below zero to summer temps. I own over 80 back-packs. My "REI" number is in the low thousands. I have 50 gallon barrels full of camping supplies. My friends used to joke that I was planning to "outfit" my own "Platoon" ! I used to hike all over the Cascade Range, then I had my accident and shattered my spinal disc between L4 and L5. Then later had my left knee replaced. That ended all my hiking expeditions. Now I take the RV out if I want to "commune" with nature. Now about starting a fire. "I would love to use my "Kelly Cooker" or Jet Oven" or any one of my many "camp" stoves I own. Or just get out my "Bow Drill" and start a fire. The problem is those silly Canadians ! For some reason they don't like you starting fires along-side the roads up there ! LOL !!!

Getting back to the frig unit. As far as how cold this unit gets to, look at the pictures in my first post. It shows the temperature at -22.6 C . It's final temperature hit -23 C . That's pretty cold. As far as area goes, it is 18" wide, 18" long, and 15" tall. That's 4860 cubic inches. I don't how much that is in metric liters though .
Of course I will have plenty of pictures of this Alaskan adventure. If anything I normally take too many pictures. At least my wife and son say so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks