• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

05 MEP-831A won't charge batteries and shuts off after about 3 hrs

Eich

This thing will start up and run for about 3 hrs on fresh batteries, but, after about 3 hrs, it starts to sputter and dies. It completely drains the batteries, so they have to be recharged It won't run without the batteries on it. Not sure if it's a regulator or stator issue or if the batteries are bad (not sure that is the problem since I have used 3 different sets of batteries) We are using this gen to charge a battery bank for our float house. When it runs, it does the job fine and doesn't put over Anybody have any thoughts on where the best place to start is? aua

Guyfang

Staff member
Is this set new to you?
Have you ever seen it run right?
Have you down loaded the manuals?

Start it up. Measure with a multimeter what the output of the battery charging alternator is putting out, by putting your meter probes on the battery. What voltage is on the meter? When you first start a set, it should be about 27-28 volts DC. The volts should sink, as the battery is charged up. If you have used several different batteries, chances are it not charging correct. But first I would start there.

Eich

We have had the gen for about a month now and just recently started using it. I will get my multimeter and check the volts. I have a condensed version of the manual, so, it doesn't give much on troubleshooting. Pretty confident that the charging system has an issue since it fires right up with fresh batteries. Depending on the batteries, it will run 2-4 1/2 hrs and then you can hear the fluctuation and it dies. Put fresh batteries on it and it starts right up and runs. While I'm asking questions, I have read (there is also a sticker on the manual start procedure) that this gen will run without batteries. Is there some switch that has to be flipped to make this happen? It seems odd that it dies when the batteries go dead, but, since it indicates that it can be started manually, it won't run without charged batteries.

Guyfang

Staff member
Download the manuals from the TM forum. That way you have the latest, and best references.

Every gen set will stop running when the batteries go dead, AND the charging system is non-op. The reason it can run without batteries, is because the charging system will still provide DC voltage. No functioning charging system, it cant run on air. As soon as the batteries get too low, it stops.

Eich

You guys are great! I will get started downloading the manual. Our internet is horrible slow since we are in a remote location. I will let you know what we learn!

Bmxenbrett

Since your set isnt charging. Low voltage on the 24v system is probably why its shutting down. In a pinch you can hook a 24v battery charger to the convenience outlet and charge the batteries that way.

Dewie38

There is a separate winding on the PMA of about 40 VAC, that goes to a 20amp fuse that is in the control box, that then goes to the battery charger.
As Guy said check for charging voltage at the battery of about 28 VDC, if you don't have it (which I will guess you don't) then check the above.

bennybb

Hello, Any update? I'm wondering if it was just the charger because mine is doing the same thing and I know I fried my charger. Yep, I hooked my battery up backasswards! I replaced the governor control with Kurt Klopp's upgrade and i have it running again. It runs great until the battery is unplugged and then it dies immediately. I'm ordering another Charger from Kurt but wondering it it will solve my problem. Thanks in advance for any input. Dale

Attachments

10isBestmm

Disregard my post.
My knowledge was based off work on 10kw to 60kw generators. Your generator is actually pretty neat and I learned a few new things off that tm.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks