• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 kw generator mep 803a

derby

Boy I don't know, that does kind of sound like a rod knock. Does the smoke clear up after it is warm?
Very nice set up though!

ETN550

Boy I don't know, that does kind of sound like a rod knock. Does the smoke clear up after it is warm?
Very nice set up though!
A bad injector can sound like rod knock. It sounds like it is not running on all cylinders and tht bluish smoke is probably raw fuel due to a bad injector. Recommend pulling the injectors and have a diesel shop test them. Not very expensive. Too much unburned fuel can wash down a cylinder and lead to other problems.

Does the smoke have a raw fuel smell?

Does the dipstick have any fuel smell to it?

Can you apply a full load to it?

Vey nice set, though. How did you acquire it?

Fuel treatment may help too.

lindyp38

i have to run it more........i did add power service ...when i first filled up.....ill run up more often.....

its on a trailer...id like to set up an exhaust stack so i dont have to remove the cover thats over the trailer now.....

any suggestions......?

some type of temp enclosure.....because its mounted on the trailer.....

ETN550

It is starting to sound a little better and the smoke is pretty much gone. Put rated load on it for an hour or so. Get it hot and get some fuel moving through it. Then see if it quiets down and gets a little smoother. Sometimes a bad injector is only a problem at the lighter loads where it must spray a tiny amount of fuel and at the bigger loads it cleans right up.

Injectors can be disassembled by a diesel fuel injection shop. They have chemicals to decarbonize them and derust them as well. When they pop test them they can set the opening pressure and they can usually replace the tip and needle so you do not need a whole injector. It will be good as new when thay are done and you will be surprised at the difference it makes.

The worst thing the military does to their diesels is not run them often enough and they drain fluids. Its best to run them on occasion and load them too.

BTW that is one nice gen set!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks