• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1000 Watt coolant heater in water pump casting question

RangerDave

I want to install a coolant heater in the lower plug of the water pump casting that people are referring too but....

The 1000 Watt heating element is about 3 1/2 inches long - will it hit the impellers? I can't judge by the scale on any of the TMs and draining all of my antifreeze to check seems silly....

Also, will a 1000 Watt element cook any of those seals near the water pump?

Thanks for the help!!!

Gatnom

I think the best you are going to do is the 600 watt. Even the 750's get too long in some of the pumps. If you want a higher wattage heater, you're going to have to go with an actual block heater in the right rear frost plug. Dave

Last edited:

RangerDave

I've got a 1000 watt one arriving at NAPA on Tues and a silly idea of putting the heater in a brass "T" fitting attached to a close nipple to reduce the distance into the casing to about 3/4 of an inch.... the "T" fitting is so I can attach my hose back to that same location...

Yes, I am aware of a bit of flow restriction to the heater through the "T".... and that I could re locate the hose to the upper part of the case... BUT, will it make any difference....???? Will I loose the effectiveness of 1000watts by encasing it in the tube? Or, will it just heat all the same?

I have yet to see if it will fit past the close nipple.... see you then!

eddiec

i stuck the 600 watt in the upper plug, and have had no problems. it does warm the entire block, and makes starting a whole lot easier at -4.

73X

A tee will hit the alt. Also be very careful as to it hitting on the inside of the water pump.
Verify it will clear before you button it up. Mine cleared but not all will. Westfolk sells a 600 watt that will fit for sure. I used a 1000 watt heater that cleared but have learned that I got lucky. Be very cautious if the end of the heater snaps off in the water pump you will be taking the front of the engine apart.

RangerDave

Yikes!!! Don't want to do that!!! I was reading the other thread about block heaters and someone mentioned that the hole sits behind the impeller???

It looks like I might have to pull the radiator (again) because the radiator guys couldn't properly tin the fan shroud in place and has since vibrated loose once again.... So it looks like I'll be draining the system and getting a good look in the hole and check for the real clearance...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks