• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 rear noise

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have a 08 here, the rear sounds like when the posi is slipping during a slow sharp turn on pavement, BUT the noise is there going straight down the road, sounds like the posi is trying to engage but will not, it is the left side of the clutch pack, when screwing with it on jack stands, I could make it disengage then would not engage going forward, then all of a sudden it would snap in, I could get the left to free wheel going forward but it was engaged going in reverse (could not rotate the wheel)

Thinking the left spring crapped, I pulled the 3rd member, after a close look at the parts, NO cracks, marks, roughness, ect. was found, the spring is not broken, fixen to check the spring to see if it is soft, do not think it is by its feel compared to the right spring. Both hub bearings have almost no play, no noise, no feel of a bad bearing when wheels are rotated. Nothing in the oil, minor fine ware bits on the magnet.

Any thoughts on this, I do NOT want to put things back together until I get this non engagement issue is delt with.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the brakes clean and oil free?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, because sticking brakes on one side might cause the dif to actuate.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is a thought, at this point I have nothing to loose to double check.

Last edited:

Chaski

The Detroit locker that the 1008 came with has no clutch pack.

How many pins are in the carrier? If it has three somone has swapped it for a gov loc.

Scratch the above... I re-read your post.

This might help... Part numbers for the detroit bits

Detroit.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks