• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

101 bed on a 1008? Possible?

colelkhunter

I am picking up 2 101 trailers next week sometime and had a thought about using one as a bed. First example would be for those who have a 1031 and want a regular bed on the back? Would someone mind measuring the 101 trailer and posting the actual dimensions? I think it would look great. The other side of the coin would be putting the 1031 box on the 101 trailer frame. If you still have the generator and compressor, the PTO could easily be driven by a 10-12hp gas engine mounted in the back of the trailer I imagine. Best of both worlds. Pickup truck with a nice bed, and a trailer with all your goodies for when you need them.

army_nurse

do a search on this thread. m101 bed on a m1028?? i did it. it has some pics. not all that hard. i would use the heaver bed if you can find it and make a bracket to mount the fuel tank spout too. makes lots of room for tires.

rnd-motorsports

I agree gavan that looks good goes with the jeep cab perfectly a little paint to match and would almost pass as stock. I also like the bed on the m1028 or 1008 lot more room than pickup box for a work truck!!!

gavan

I agree gavan that looks good goes with the jeep cab perfectly a little paint to match and would almost pass as stock. I also like the bed on the m1028 or 1008 lot more room than pickup box for a work truck!!!
Paint is on the list, it is a llllooooonnnngggg list:)

It has M1008 axles under it now, so I guess it has one more reason to be here!

rnd-motorsports

We did it with an M1008 that was a residue truck. I bought 4 new M101A3 boxes from GL, so no trailers suffered in this project. The cargo bed with the cover on is really cool.
You said 1008 did you add the helper spring if not then check nsn but I would say thet the truck pictured is a m1028 it has the overload springs check front axle if so will have a tag on dif cover top driver bolt that states to use limited slip fluid only. :driver:

colelkhunter

thanks for the pics! I am thinking that one of the 1031's is about to have a 101 bed. The I can take the 1031 contact bed and mount it to the 101 frame and have a contact maintenence trailer........I feel like Hanibal Smith. I love it when plan comes together....

Midnight Rider

We did it with an M1008 that was a residue truck. I bought 4 new M101A3 boxes from GL, so no trailers suffered in this project. The cargo bed with the cover on is really cool.
What kind of rims are those on that truck?

That truck looks pretty good with that bed on it.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gavan, that is one ugly Jeep... i love it!:mrgreen: The 1008's look great with the 101 bed them too, but I never thought about a Jeep with that bed. Nice work. Be sure to post pics when you get 'er all painted. What little I've read about the CJ-10 tugs make them sound like odd beasts with some good potential. Got another thread going on this particular Jeep?

gavan

gavan, that is one ugly Jeep... i love it!:mrgreen: The 1008's look great with the 101 bed them too, but I never thought about a Jeep with that bed. Nice work. Be sure to post pics when you get 'er all painted. What little I've read about the CJ-10 tugs make them sound like odd beasts with some good potential. Got another thread going on this particular Jeep?
Everybody thinks it is ugly! I think its pretty cool. Driving from NC to TX with the -10a and a fully built, tube frame, competition CJ-7 on the trailer, the 10 got all the compliments/comments/questions! :cookoo:

Build thread here

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxillary-equipment/44498-cj10a-flightline-tug-4wd-pickup-truck.html

BUT, I have not updated that one in a bit, it now has a D60 front axle and a Cummins 4BT/NV4500. Some more recent information here

Project: Daily Driver Tug - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

762luver

Hey drgreg I like the look so much I'm buying a truck without a bed to do just that!!

Can you take a pick of the back and how you did the lights?

I'm concerned about the drop gate and how it would / would not interfeer with a trailer in tow.

How about the pics with the cover on?

I'll start a thread with my build once I get going.

Thanks!!!

DrJekl

I put a regular bed on my 1031 and put the 1031 bed on a M101 frame so I can still use it as a maintenance bed. It was pretty much useless to me on the truck.

thanks for the pics! I am thinking that one of the 1031's is about to have a 101 bed. The I can take the 1031 contact bed and mount it to the 101 frame and have a contact maintenence trailer........I feel like Hanibal Smith. I love it when plan comes together....

DrJekl

No build thread. I did not take photos of the process. We bought a dual 3KW gennerator set, sold the generators, pulled the fenders from the trailer frame, slid the trailer under the maintenance bed drilled a few holes and bolted it down. It was pretty straight forward. Wiring it back up was the most difficult and that was easy. I pulled the harness from the trailer and just put a pig tail on the box to hook into a standard four wire trailer plug. Empty it is a bit tail heavy so I put a spare tire on the front of the trailer to give it some tongue weight. I do want to swap the landing leg for a leg with one that is adjustable to make it more user friendly. I'll probably just remove it and throw on an after market one.

I do not have photos but can take some the next time I go out to the farm. I never considered it that swoopy but have had some positive comments and offers to buy from people visiting. Could give those beds away so I scrapped two real nice ones. Slap one on a $200 trailer frame and everyone wants it. Why is that?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks