• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1078 Bed

waayfast

Good morning all.

I may be trading for a bed from a 1078. Looks by the photos to be very nice, no rust etc. 3 color camo. Just wondering how much something like this would be worth as I don't have a need for it (I think ;)).

Thanks, Jim

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A really nice drop side deuce bed was posted for $900 as I recall. But there are probably more deuces out there that need a replacement bed than LMTVs in need of a new bed. Hmmmm, a LMTV bed on a deuce would be pretty neat.

Shark Bait

A really nice drop side deuce bed was posted for $900 as I recall. But there are probably more deuces out there that need a replacement bed than LMTVs in need of a new bed. Hmmmm, a LMTV bed on a deuce would be pretty neat.
Ive considered pulling the LMTV bed off one of my M1082 trailers and put it on one of my M931A2's. Can anybody photoshop what that would look like? Lol.

Dave

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off I apologize for bringing back an old thread. I have seen some talk of this done but really have not seen how it was done or even good pictures of a finished product. Can anyone shed a little light? Im looking into the possibility of lmtv bed on my Deuce but I am wondering how involved of a job is it and will it allow clearance for 395s

coachgeo

First off I apologize for bringing back an old thread. I have seen some talk of this done but really have not seen how it was done or even good pictures of a finished product. Can anyone shed a little light? Im looking into the possibility of lmtv bed on my Deuce but I am wondering how involved of a job is it and will it allow clearance for 395s
Im just north of you. You might can twist my arm and buy my bed

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They're too long for M931A2s unless you get rid of toolboxes and spare carriers.

Putting one on a deuce should be trivial. Clearing 395s should be fine, or put spacers between the bed and frame rails.

Value of a bed? Apparently zero. I've had one for sale for over a year and nobody wants the **** thing.

tobyS

MAA, I wanted to do that and as you know bought a bed to do it. My reason was to use the fixed sides of the deuce bed for a dump trailer, lower to the ground and then have side access to the deuce bed. What is your reason for wanting one on a deuce? And there you go to get one cheap....98G comes this way on a regular basis.

Your right 98G, they are too long for a 931. I could see one working nicely on a 923 and bring the pintle up closer to the rear axle plus have a ball for a gooseneck with a door in the bed. Probably paid too much for mine if they are not selling...then again, I haven't seem them offered (not really looked).

It would appear to make a descent trailer. I've got a wide dually rear end (F450 van/bus) that would keep it low and the bed is not too heavy, so should work well. Every trailer I have made from a dual rear end has tracked excellent and will go highway speed.

coachgeo

...It would appear to make a descent trailer. I've got a wide dually rear end (F450 van/bus) that would keep it low and the bed is not too heavy, so should work well. Every trailer I have made from a dual rear end has tracked excellent and will go highway speed.
On those trailers that you made from military beds.. assume you did use a chassis..... but .. one should never "azz"ume... so did you put the bed on a chassis or did you feel the bed was strong enough to weld trailer leaf spring hangers too and bolt up the axle?

tobyS

On those trailers that you made from military beds.. assume you did use a chassis..... but .. one should never "azz"ume... so did you put the bed on a chassis or did you feel the bed was strong enough to weld trailer leaf spring hangers too and bolt up the axle?
Trailers I use truck rear end, I use entire clip, frame, mounts springs ...all of it. Sometimes I use a heavy angle to make the top of the (vehicle) frame flat to match the bed. When I use Dexter axles, I make a frame and connect it to the bed.

The frame on one M105 included hinges and longitudinal support for dumping. It sold before I put the cylinder and pump on and he even bought it before being entirely welded out (wanted it while I was on a work trip).

This LMTV would not be good to attach axles without at least a longitudinal frame while a deuce or 5 ton has those members welded on the bed (and make good support for dump).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks