• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1165A1 GEARED ENGINE FAN LUBRICATION

D Foster

I have a 2008 1165A1 HMMWV and wanted to check/lub if needed my ENGINE FAN GEARBOX? I have not beeen able to find the fan gearbox plug or reservoir? According to the manual photo it is part of the fan assembly, under the fan itself? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bottom drain plug it’s easy but the fill one…it’s a tricky one…not sure what’s the right way to do it, but this is how I went about it.
The issue is that a regular 3/8” Allen L wrench is too long and it’s not enough clearance for it, so I made it from two pieces, a 3/8” Allen stub and a regular wrench, see below:

D57DD993-5D8B-4C2F-B226-9B146917B43F.jpeg
Maybe you already have it, but I had to search a while for the right length 3/8” stub, the one in the picture is from a set sold at O’Reilly.
You could mark a line on the fill plug so when you put it back, you could torque it to the same point (or beyond if it feels too easy to open) if you don’t have a torque wrench that would fit.
I used a hand pump with a V type spring hook to stay relatively secure while I pumped the oil from below.

D Foster

The bottom drain plug it’s easy but the fill one…it’s a tricky one…not sure what’s the right way to do it, but this is how I went about it.
The issue is that a regular 3/8” Allen L wrench is too long and it’s not enough clearance for it, so I made it from two pieces, a 3/8” Allen stub and a regular wrench, see below:

View attachment 871253
Maybe you already have it, but I had to search a while for the right length 3/8” stub, the one in the picture is from a set sold at O’Reilly.
You could mark a line on the fill plug so when you put it back, you could torque it to the same point (or beyond if it feels too easy to open) if you don’t have a torque wrench that would fit.
I used a hand pump with a V type spring hook to stay relatively secure while I pumped the oil from below.
Thanks for all your information and photo. It was very helpful. I will probally do something like you did to get excess to the plug.

D Foster

I have a 2008 1165A1 HMMWV and wanted to check/lub if needed my ENGINE FAN GEARBOX? I have not beeen able to find the fan gearbox plug or reservoir? According to the manual photo it is part of the fan assembly, under the fan itself? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Is it posisble that I have a different type/model Gear Fan Drive setup? I can't seem to located my fill and drain plugs behind my fan? I have checked underneath and also top side on the engine area behind the fan and can not locate the plugs or type of fan assembly? Thanks for your help.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it posisble that I have a different type/model Gear Fan Drive setup? I can't seem to located my fill and drain plugs behind my fan? I have checked underneath and also top side on the engine area behind the fan and can not locate the plugs or type of fan assembly? Thanks for your help.
Both, the drain plug and fill plugs are facing the engine front (not the ground) here is a picture from below:

9F2BAEC0-4AA3-47AE-8F3F-733C5CCF878B.jpeg
The fill plug is somewhat recessed because of the cooling fins, that’s why it’s not easy to access and requires a very short 3/8” Allen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks