• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12.5r20 Continental tires on Deuce?

SEAFIRE

I did a search and couldn't find the answer:

Does anyone have any pics of a deuce with 12.5R20 MIL NATO 12-ply old style Continental tires like in the picture? or have used these tires on a duece?

We were looking for more 12.5R20 Michelin X's ( we have three already ) and found a place with 15 of these tires with 80% to 90% tread for $125 each.

Thanks in advance for any help....

note: picture is not actual picture of tires we are looking at, but pic off the net to show the tread

Attachments

Last edited:

M1075

I don't think you will be very happy with 12.5R20 tires on a deuce. Too small to really run as singles and duals is very tight in the rear.

M1075

too small to single? stock singling is 11x20
Yes, too small. 12.5R20 tires are basically the same diameter as 9x20 tires. For fire use, I would definitely recommend stepping up to 395/85R20 tires. I think I was the first to do that, many moons ago.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As mentioned before, dualing them, it's not that great of a tire. Singles, it works, but what's the point.

We carry the continentals if you're looking BTW. [thumbzup]

SEAFIRE

Here's a link to thread with pics of the Mich 12.5 20 XL's on my Deuce, aired up to the proper pressure there not tight at all, even loaded.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/32051-12-50-r20s-im-love-again.html

Thanks FMJ,
It was that thread that got us started on getting the 12.5's in the first place.

We ordered the tires, I'll post pics once they are on the truck. We did order two one-piece rims for the front tires on the advice from our mechanic.

SEAFIRE

Well, we got the tires in and have them mounted on our M35A2 W/W, here are the pictures:

We put the Continental 12.5R20's dualed out on the rear axles with the factory rims and put the Michelin X 12.5R20's on the front on Boyce one piece rims.
Had no problems at all putting the Continental tires on the deuce rims

Thanks FMJ for the idea for doing this

Also noticed the Continental tires are made in Austria and have way thicker sidewalls than the Michelins. We accidentally used a older rivited rim, will have to change this out in the future

Attachments

SEAFIRE

Just an update,
The W/W deuce shown above was used during the Weekend on some fire responses, the drivers say it rides way smoother, less vibration, better performance off-road, and that the braking is way better, haven't figured out why the braking is improved with the 12.5's.... :?:

I know it looks odd with the Continentals on the rear, and the Michelins on the front, but with the budget we had for this project, its way better than the old NDT tires we were running.
The Boyce rims on the front have a much wider track and has helped with stability off-road as well.
Someday when this drought is over, we'll get the rims painted the same, right now we're just too busy.

Not sure if we're going to try to get a similar set-up for the other deuce, I'd like to run singles, but we'll see what tires become available and what we can afford.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AFAIK, Continental owns the Austrian SEMPERIT tire company and that is probably where the tires were made. I'd be curious to know which application they were for and how they made their way to the CONUS.

The Austrian military does/did, to my knowledge, not use these tires in this dimension. The Haflingers (pocket Pinzgauer) and early Pinzgauers had a similar tire style (much smaller dimensions, though). Their cargo trucks used 9.00x20 and then 14.5 x XX.

NEIOWA

Just an update,
The W/W deuce shown above was used during the Weekend on some fire responses, the drivers say it rides way smoother, less vibration, better performance off-road, and that the braking is way better, haven't figured out why the braking is improved with the 12.5's.... :?:

I know it looks odd with the Continentals on the rear, and the Michelins on the front, but with the budget we had for this project, its way better than the old NDT tires we were running.
The Boyce rims on the front have a much wider track and has helped with stability off-road as well.
Someday when this drought is over, we'll get the rims painted the same, right now we're just too busy.

Not sure if we're going to try to get a similar set-up for the other deuce, I'd like to run singles, but we'll see what tires become available and what we can afford.
You know that you can get tires (and parts and tools) thru FFP and FEPP don't you? Many pallets of good takeoff FTMV and M35A3 singles have been going thru Riley and Texarkana (among other posts). Many on wheels. Not $ at all required other than transportation.

armytruck63

I like the look of the Continentals. They look like they will do much better on wet pavement than the NDT's.

I would be a little concerned about that wider front track increasing the load on the king pins. Maybe the increased stability is worth it though.

SEAFIRE

You know that you can get tires (and parts and tools) thru FFP and FEPP don't you? Many pallets of good takeoff FTMV and M35A3 singles have been going thru Riley and Texarkana (among other posts). Many on wheels. Not $ at all required other than transportation.
I've tried....

Texas Forest Service yard in Lufkin doesn't have any A3 tires, just the 9.00 x 20's when they have them. I've asked them to look for A3 tires, but no luck yet. They do have A3's available.

The DRMO yards we get stuff from hasn't had any A3 tires either, lots of brand new 15.5 x 20's on 5-ton rims, but no A3 tires or rims, we did get three 12.5 x 20 Michelins from the DRMO yard in San Antonio. I've thought about getting a A3 parts truck for the rims, tires and seats, but would hate to part out a somewhat good A3, they have some real nice ones there.

SEAFIRE

Just an update, we finally changed out the tires on our other M35, this truck has the 12.5 x 20 Continentals all the way around, with the Boyce Equipment one-piece rims on the front, original rims in back. I really feel the difference driving, and it handles soft mud so much better.

See picture of both trucks mopping up at a grass fire, first fire together with the new tires.

image_1362013594715701.jpg11012012093.jpg04012013209.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks