• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volt inverter to 24v modification?

treeguy

I was given a HD 12v inverter to 120v from work and wanted to use it in my deuce. I guess I could theoretically run the 12v from my 24v to 12v converter to power it but this is starting to sound like stretching the converter capabilities. My question, without abandoning the inverter and buying a 24v model, is there any way to modify the 12v inverter to accept 24v input?

Thanks, Ben

Alredneck

Banned
You can always get a dual voltage alternator, like from a humvee or 915 and run a extra battery for your 12V needs and then run the inverter off that, 120V come in hand for my shop tools I carry with me and keeping my Computer charged I have a 1500W in one truck 1000W in another. I use my side grinder with them all the time. Just wish I had a bigger inverter for other things! I picked up a 915 dual voltage alt from GL for cheap compared to what folk on ebay are asking for humve alts and its not much bigger.

treeguy

I already have a 12v set up using a converter. Single 12v battery under the pass. seat fed from converter. Is the dual altinator suffecient for charging the deuce 24v set. How does this work, two outputs 12 one wire and 24v on another?

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was given a HD 12v inverter to 120v from work and wanted to use it in my deuce. I guess I could theoretically run the 12v from my 24v to 12v converter to power it but this is starting to sound like stretching the converter capabilities. My question, without abandoning the inverter and buying a 24v model, is there any way to modify the 12v inverter to accept 24v input?

Thanks, Ben
You have to look at the ratings, if the converter can handle the amp draw of the inverter then there is no problem. Just the efficiency suffers.
Don't use a starting battery for your 12V-supply, they don't recover from deep cycling.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran 12V off the front battery, I only use it if the engine is running, Cranetruck is right about the deep cycle battery, Get a marine battery if your going to convert down from 24 to 12vdc from the deuce system to feed the Inverter.

BTW, you can mount this anyway you want and it does not affect the Inverter, make sure there is room behind the unit for the cooling fan and the "CHASSIS GROUND" for the Inverter is properly grounded. Just my 2cents

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks