• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14R20 Tires On MTV

dronsen

Has anyone successfully mounted 14R20's (14.00R20) on a MTV? I'm pretty sure height won't be an issue but a little concerned about steer tires rubbing. Any input appreciated.

Thanks

scottmandu

1400R20's fit.. 1600R20's won't clear the front stowage boxes at full lock, and if you have a winch the hydraulic fluid tank guard won't clear either. I think with a 2 inch cab lift 2 inch suspension lift and some trimming it will all work well with 1600R20's.

coachgeo

what I can't recall from other threads if the 14R20 or 16R20 bring any advantage when compared to " cost of tire X 5 ". From the one thread did review the otherday the 16R20 (53inch?) by the time you include slow down on grades.. it seemed not worth it.

dronsen

Thanks for the responses...just looking for less expansive way to get a few more MPH over gear swap. My back-of-the-napkin math tells me that the 14R20's would provide roughly 62 MPH vs 58.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WHY do a lot members WANT to go FAST in a military truck that is NOT designed to go fast on tires that DO NOT have the speed rating to go fast ?????.

dronsen

73m819-

I would like to use the FMTV for commercial purposes. The FMTV was designed virtually identically to any well-built heavy-duty commercial vehicle in the world, and NOT specifically as a military-only vehicle, hence its enhanced level of comfort, reliability and performance. Both S&S and OshKosh have built thousands of production vehicles on the MTV platform with high-speed gears that deliver 72+ MPH so the platform and all components have been well-vetted. I use only Goodyear MVT's with a speed rating at full load capacity of 81 MPH.

But this is a post about 14R20's on an LMTV...

Thanks

scottmandu

what I can't recall from other threads if the 14R20 or 16R20 bring any advantage when compared to " cost of tire X 5 ". From the one thread did review the otherday the 16R20 (53inch?) by the time you include slow down on grades.. it seemed not worth it.
If you buy the tires right, they aren't that expensive.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not always about going faster. For me it's about getting the engine off of the redline at 55. Cruise speed at lower rpm equals more mpg, and longer engine life.

ramdough

1400R20's fit.. 1600R20's won't clear the front stowage boxes at full lock, and if you have a winch the hydraulic fluid tank guard won't clear either. I think with a 2 inch cab lift 2 inch suspension lift and some trimming it will all work well with 1600R20's.
Do the 1400R20's clear at full compression, turning or straight (without the hydraulic fluid tank)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdough

Does anyone know the answer to this? I have heard many times about trucks that can fit larger tires..... until you drive off road. I just need to know if I am fully flexed out and turning, if that is still true.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks