• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16.00 x 20 Tires on a Deuce

SEAFIRE

Somewhere on the net I've seen pictures of deuce(s) with singled 16.00 x 20 tires on custom rims.

Has anyone here done this? is it possible on a stock deuce using custom rims.

And... what suggestions for places for aftermarket rims?

We have a source of brand new 16.00 x 20 XL tires on pallets for $125 each, reason why I ask.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
don't for get the suspension lift, a motor with enough stones to get them rolling.
1600's can be found for $100 each simply because there are not many trucks that can run them.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Egads! For that price I'd do the same as you: buy a bunch of tires and go looking for a truck to fit them.

Thats a lot of rubber for a buck and a quarter.

Rick

SEAFIRE

To those who answered my question nicely, thanks. I guess we'll try to go with our previous plan of using 12.5 x 20 tires on the stock rims.
Here we go again.......

No they wont fit.
You know I've been on this forum 4 years longer than you, and I did a careful search for ANY thread with 16.00 x 20 in the title in the deuce forum and did not find the answer I needed. A careful review of my posts over the last six years will show that we do our research before asking a question. The answer in large letters insinuates I'm some kind of idiot or something.

We've swapped out engines, trannys, turbos, axles, many seals, shear pins, and fix our flats ourselves, etc. with the help of the "helpful" ppl in this forum.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know I've been on this forum 4 years longer than you, and I did a careful search for ANY thread with 16.00 x 20 in the title in the deuce forum and did not find the answer I needed. A careful review of my posts over the last six years will show that we do our research before asking a question. The answer in large letters insinuates I'm some kind of idiot or something.

We've swapped out engines, trannys, turbos, axles, many seals, shear pins, and fix our flats ourselves, etc. with the help of the "helpful" ppl in this forum.

so what if you made an account 4 years before i did? i have been around long enough to see many MANY threads about this same topic. its almost as annoying as the daily "how do i post an ad" thread. ill give you credit for knowing that you'll need custom rims. most people are too cheap and want to keep the 16.00 on stock rims. its also not suprising that you could find any of the threads. its hard for most people to find anything on here.

SEAFIRE

well Derrickl112, sorry if I sounded a little PO'd.

Last year we didn't have a single flat and delayed upgrading the deuce tires to buy other needed stuff, yesterday at two somewhat large grass/brush fires we had 3 flats on our "light" deuce, and today open the station doors to find a front tire flat on our other deuce, fighting these grass fires in our spare time, and dealing with these sudden 9.00 x 20 tire issues is driving me crazy aua

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To those who answered my question nicely, thanks. I guess we'll try to go with our previous plan of using 12.5 x 20 tires on the stock rims...........
.... and please remember that 12.5s are NOT to be mounted on A2 wheels, either................................ for the reasons already explained, over and over & again!

Edit: .... just read your last post, above: been there, feel your pain, tube type tires suck....!
You should really try to find A3 wheels or custom made wheels using 1- piece MPT rims and then mount those 12.5s, or better 14.5s considering ground clearance and load capacity.

G.

Last edited:

davidkroberts

:roll:

well if everyone is done being butthurt over something someone said on the internet I can answer the question.

I have a singled m35 with 395 tires and i have maybe 2.5 to 3" of clearance between the rear axles your not going to be able to mount anything bigger without signifigant rear suspension modification or a bob job. You can mount 16.00's on a bobbed deuce without a lift kit. We did it but we had to reroute the exhaust flex tube because it crushed it on turning. We were using some old USA6X6 rims but i cant remember the backspacing,

Last edited:

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well Derrickl112, sorry if I sounded a little PO'd.

Last year we didn't have a single flat and delayed upgrading the deuce tires to buy other needed stuff, yesterday at two somewhat large grass/brush fires we had 3 flats on our "light" deuce, and today open the station doors to find a front tire flat on our other deuce, fighting these grass fires in our spare time, and dealing with these sudden 9.00 x 20 tire issues is driving me crazy aua

15.5 and 395's are the biggest you can go with out any issues. although i think they will rub the J pipe on a sharp turn?

SEAFIRE

15.5 and 395's are the biggest you can go with out any issues. although i think they will rub the J pipe on a sharp turn?
If you're talking about the exhaust, ours is re-routed M35A1 style.

.... and please remember that 12.5s are NOT to be mounted on A2 wheels, either................................ for the reasons already explained, over and over & again!

G.
I have detailed pics someone here sent me of them mounting 12.5’s on stock A2 rims, what is the danger? See attached picture
Also Gensco tires has 12.5’s mounted on A2 rims already that came that way from the military….. just asking

Stupid question #2
What would I need to run 395/85R20 tires, what size is this compared to 14.5, 16.00, etc. The DRMO yard is supposed to be getting some of these soon.

Note:
attached picture is not mine, I was emailed them by a fellow member to show our mechanic/tire guys.

Attachments

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're talking about the exhaust, ours is re-routed M35A1 style.

I have detailed pics someone here sent me of them mounting 12.5’s on stock A2 rims, what is the danger? See attached picture
Also Gensco tires has 12.5’s mounted on A2 rims already that came that way from the military….. just asking

Stupid question #2
What would I need to run 395/85R20 tires, what size is this compared to 14.5, 16.00, etc. The DRMO yard is supposed to be getting some of these soon.

Note:
attached picture is not mine, I was emailed them by a fellow member to show our mechanic/tire guys.

46"

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

So what? That doesn't make it right or solve the problem, IMHO. See drawing...
Again, they can be mounted, but they should NOT....
The "only" danger: a front tire blowing apart at 55mph, starting around its overstressed bead section...:!:

Also, you still need to run tubes in a tubeless tire, with the known disadventages already mentioned.

If I had unlimited access to 12.5R20s to run them tubeless and dual on the rears I would look for 8-9 inch wide MPT style, drop center rims and weld them to Deuce centers, at the correct required backspace.
PM me if you need details, I'm sure there are companies that can make such a wheel (similar as in pic) for a reasonable cost.

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks