• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 dukw

So we just bought a DUKW. It is delivery date 11-41. It is in really good conditions and we got it for a good price. Looking for any more info on it, this is our first big WWII vehicle. It will be participating in all of Freedom Vehicles association's (freedomvehilces.org) events and such. Any help would be much appreciated, such as, why it is 1941 and what it may have potentially done. SN of 35316258.
13062338_10209337322172049_7245418164752125857_n.jpg13063261_10209337318891967_3971668656125347596_o.jpg

Thanks we are pretty proud of it, and in my home town too!!! So no major transporting. We changed one of the tires on it, because it has say like this for 20+ years, and so we switched it for the pare and on Friday we are going to go and see if we can get it running easily, if not we are gonna flat tow it with a M923.

Steve Greenberg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,
Very nice looking DUKW. It cannot be a 1941 DUKW since they did not start production until 1942. S/N 16258 makes it a late 1944 or early 1945. What other info. are you looking for?
Steve

My buddy found some research and told me that they did produce a few hundred dukws in 1941, and then in 1942 they went into full blown production, but if that is the correct sn, then the numbers shouldn't lie, I will get better pics of the plates and post them up.

dmetalmiki

That is a wonderful and very special vehicle. Good luck on the restoration. It will be nice to the see the pictures and write ups of the progress.

magerdgr

They only produced a couple of prototypes at the end of '41 for testing. Actual production began in late '42. The serial is in line with late '44 production so it's likely that the date stamp was a light strike and combined with age looks like 11 41 instead of 11 44.

Well went out to do some work on it today to try and get it to start to drive home, but come to find out the engine is more than likely seized. Luckily with the purchase came another DUKW engine. So now we get to do an engine swap.

tommys2patrick

Still a pretty cool vehicle and all of the green iron will keep you busy. Sounds like your set up to tow anyways. Changing engines will give you a good shot to inspect, lube r&r other things as well. If it ran it might be too tempting to road it before you went thru it thoroughly. Keep us posted-did I mention its way cool!

Yeah thank you all for having interest. We are way excited to have it, I cant quite say when we will do the engine swap on it, but it will be quite an experience, and it is a big draw vehicle. Thanks.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely a later DUKW, because it has the sloped front windshield, which did not start till after the first several thousand were produced. It's covered in David Doyle's comprehensive book on them.

LanceRobson

If you flat tow it with a medium towbar you'll have to extend the legs about as far as they'll extend and take wide turns. The overhang on the DUKW is pretty far out past the shackle points. Wide turns help preserve the DUKW's sheet metal.

Nice looking machine. While you have the engine out you may want to fill it with water to find any leaks before you take it swimming (just saying....):D

Lance

Well on Tuesday, we towed the DUKW home using our 1991 M923 5 ton. WE went about 8 miles an hour on average and it took an hour to get home. We went so slow because the DUKW didn't have hardly any brakes and we didn't have time to get them to work. Overall, it was a very good recovery. It now sits in front of my house, waiting to move again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks