1941 GMC CCKW For Sale

hayes96

i ran across this truck in the country and i have absolutley no use for it, it is what i beleive is a 1941 model...but it IS a CCKw....it runs and drives, it doesn't have a bed since it was a drill rig but it does have the winch on the front of it! I would like to get $6500 out of it but i will also take offers..you can reach me through my email at hayes96@marshall.edu Thanks

JeepMan

hayes96 said:
i ran across this truck in the country and i have absolutley no use for it, it is what i beleive is a 1941 model...but it IS a CCKw....it runs and drives, it doesn't have a bed since it was a drill rig but it does have the winch on the front of it! I would like to get $6500 out of it but i will also take offers..you can reach me through my email at hayes96@marshall.edu Thanks
Quite honestly, you may have to remove a zero to the left of the decimal point.
(Drill rigs means the truck took a beating).
Just my opionion. You may not agree.

hayes96

the truck is not in bad shape, the cab is very sound on it, it was only a drill rig for a short time, it had a bed on it before that. the frame is not rusted it just needs a coat of paint and it would look great. I do not agree it is worth $650 that is a insult, i think it is worth more than that by far.

hayes96

also, 6500 is probably a little much. does anybody know what this thing would be worth? an honest quote you won't offend me

pfarber

Unless complete, its a parts truck. Just from your description its a $650 truck.

Add about $1k for each of the following parts that are hard to find or hard to repair:

A bed (doh!)
Spare tire carrier
original gas tank and plumbing, brakes, electrical
better than simply 'complete' cab (good doors, glass, seats)

All of the above puts you in the $5000+ category.

Having a winch helps, but the massive detriment is the 'drill rig'.. unless it its an original auger from the Army. The hit being missing parts, bent frame, reinforcing plates welded on, general beating a work truck takes.

hayes96

so is this thing worth anything, any time, or just sell labled as a parts truck. It is mechanically sound and the metal has only surface rust. If i was looking to sell this would it be better to part it out?

JeepMan

hayes96 said:
so is this thing worth anything, any time, or just sell labled as a parts truck. It is mechanically sound and the metal has only surface rust. If i was looking to sell this would it be better to part it out?
It is worth something, but not as much as your asking --- Pics would be a great help!!

DavidWymore

Same story, different truck. This one ran up until 2 years ago. Driveshaft yoke broke off the front diff. It was a water truck. Whatcha think I should offer? It's pretty (c)rusty. Data plate says '52 M135 W/O Winch.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Of the 41' that hayes has, id offer 500 Dave if you were buying the yellow one, i paid 500 a peice for two B model Macks that ran 2 years ago. So 500 is fair for a old MV like that. , Jay

DavidWymore

Cool, thanks. This one isn't actually running though...it's rough and missing some things. I think I'm gonna go $300 and see if they bite.

hmburner

At current scrap prices here in Ontario a non running truck is worth 2000 in scrap. I imagine US prices are higher (they always are) This is based on the lowball price of 400 a ton if the scrapyard burns you on the price. I imagine as soon as the market is glutted the price will return back to about 140 a ton,which is where 650 is a fair price. We just scrapped a 93 GMC general tri axle dump and got 4000. So for this month anyways,his prices are not to far out of line

Bill

NB1944

I have read the comments on the SS site... there is no way to determine how the drill rig guys treated the truck. What is not in doubt is that the bed was removed (good luck finding one) and the drill rig added. No doubt they had to do some 'customizing' to make it all work. Who knows what else they removed. In any case, it will take time and add additional expense to the restoration.

My experience with rigs like this one is that they are of more value to the current owner than the market will bear; in other words, if we pay what the owner is asking (or manage to work out a more favorable deal), and add up all the missing items, then add in the time, labor and cost of restoring the vehicle, then we end up a vehicle that rarely is worth more than we put into it. For this reason, it can be very difficult to acquire a decent truck and put it the time and money required and end up with something that is close to market value. I'm not looking to get rich on this, but it would be much more rewarding to be able to get out what you put in. (Maybe this why most of our wives hate the hobby).

I came across a 1 1/2 T WWII chevy truck. It was used by a fire dept. (painted white), but the paint faded and you can clearly see the OD underneath. It's in really nice shape, good interior, mechanically complete, and with decent metal. It has the original bed (troop type) and a flat bed (probably not original to vehicle). Of course it needs a complete restoration, but what should I pay (reasonable guess) for the truck? Feel free to comment.

JeepMan

DavidWymore said:
Same story, different truck. This one ran up until 2 years ago. Driveshaft yoke broke off the front diff. It was a water truck. Whatcha think I should offer? It's pretty (c)rusty. Data plate says '52 M135 W/O Winch.

Someone will probably disagree with what I say here, but used M135's/211's are just not worth much if anything. They used to have value for the winches and that was just about it. I've seen people pay a couple of thousand for good used ones but there again, it's what you value it as.

DMgunn

NB1944 - I agree with you - I got what I would consider a bargain when I bought my M139, even though by the time it is done, I will never come out ahead (financially) unless I part it (sacrilege!). And now I am looking at what could best be described as a "residue" truck that is apparently an old WC-something - and I will probably pay well over what it is really "worth". But you know what? I am doing this out of passion, and most certainly not to make money - that is what my day job is for.

I say pay what it is worth to YOU - simple as that sounds, that's what I do - that way I never need to justify the expense to myself or anyone else. This is a hobby, it is not like buying builders to flip.

NB1944

DMgunn

I agree... I, too have a passion (some would say a disease) for this. I have been hooked since I was a kid. (now I'm all grown up and still a kid!!) I agree also - pay what it's worth to you (afterall, its your $$ and you have to do the work). The guys is in no hurry to sell the Chevy, so I can afford to wait a bit. I really want a CCKW, but this is the next best thing. He wants $3000 which I think is worth it, considering everything is there. I would like to help him sell the other stuff as this might 'endear me' to him and help me get a better deal. Got any pics of the Chevy?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks