• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1944 A-26 in Shafter, Ca

Greasy

I got to help a friend of mine work on his A-26 this weekend. The A-26's R-2800's have not been started in 6 to 8 months. Saturday the lower 5 spark plugs pulled on both engines, pre oiled both engines, turned them over (with mags off) to clear bottom cylinders. Topped off engine oil and fuel. Started each engine running them at low RPM (1,000 to 1200 max). Cylinder head and oil temp good, generator charging, hydraulic pressure good. After a few minutes both engines cleared out and ran SWEET!

Sunday morning. Checked out both engines. Started both engines. Each engine started with little effort. Both engines ran smooth and idled nicely. After cylinder head and oil temps climbed to an acceptable tempature, it's time to add THROTTLE! There is nothing like standing in the cockpit feet away from two R-2800's running at 2,500 rpm! The engines in this configuration are set at 2,000hp each. What a rush.

After letting the engines cool down, each engine was checked over. No issues found. Now the fun begins. Both engines were very difficuld to restart. Both engines flooded easley. After several attempts, #2 decided to start. #1 took several attenpts to start. Mikey finally coxed her to light off. After cylinder head and oil temps came up time to taxi her around the tarmac! This was the first time she has rolled under her own power in 2.5 years.

What a day.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice! I have had the pleasure of being around running Pratt radials and agree, there is ALMOST no better rush, A 1710 Conti in a tank is my favorite!

pmramsey

If you thought it had been fun up to this point, just wait until you are full-throttle, the runway diappeared beneath the aircraft and the landing gear stowed, your nipples from that point will be painfully hard for a week or more. Nice looking machine.

If you did not use this technique, when starting hot, pull the mixture to the full off postion, turn on the electric fuel boost pump to clear the lines of vaborized fuel, engage the starter, and slowing roll in the mixture until you begin to get fire. Do not be in a hurry but increase the mixture until the engine runs smooth. This avoids the flooding and the excitement of large balls of burning liquid boiling out the exhaust.

Another hot starting technique that some use is to clear the engine of vaporized fuel with the boost pump and then go to full-throttle, prop, and mixture. Engage the starter and wait for fire. When it begins to hit, lean the mixture slightly, and reduce the throttle before the engine over-revs in a low oil pressure moment. This often produces large balls of burning liquid rolling out the exhaust. If the engine does not start, pull the mixture to off and continue cranking until all the fire has been sucked back into the engine.

Both techniques work but the second requires much dancing on the engine controls and excellent timing. Otherwise, the plane and the day could be toast.

SpecWarSquid

Sounds like a good time.

The Champaign Aviation Museum in Urbana Ohio has a former Airspray A-26, Tanker 32. They ferried it to the museum a couple of years ago and it has sat due to cracked wing spar. It's next in line for restoration after their B-17 gets finished and up in the air.

Attachments

pmramsey

I must make a final comment. The fire extinguishers found in the first photo are not up to the job should there be a fire on start up. They are power based and the crap will be sucked into the engine exhaust stack. It will damage and corrode everything it touches. The minimum is two, 20 lb CO2 units with a wide exhaust bell. A single unit is good for roughly 15-17 seconds.

It is not a matter of if they will ever be used. In time, they will be.

Greasy

I must make a final comment. The fire extinguishers found in the first photo are not up to the job should there be a fire on start up. They are power based and the crap will be sucked into the engine exhaust stack. It will damage and corrode everything it touches. The minimum is two, 20 lb CO2 units with a wide exhaust bell. A single unit is good for roughly 15-17 seconds.

It is not a matter of if they will ever be used. In time, they will be.

Thanks for the advice pmramsey. Before the next engine runs there will be 3 to 4 CO2 extinguishers available. Don't want a bad situation made worse.

Greasy

Nice looking bird . What kept it from being flown ?

The A-26 needs her annual inspection. Before that begins, the plane's owner needs to purchase two large wing jacks. These jacks will hold the plane off her landing gear, so the landing gear can be cycled. He found a smokin deal on a set of used jacks for $5,000 EACH!

68t

Thanks for the great post and pictures, I like the ww2 airplane, sure wish i could get to work on one. I got to see glacier girl at middlesboro ky. I gave bob cardon some 50cal, ammio and parts. I missied the first flight. I don,t know where she at now day.

Heath_h49008

I used to volunteer with the Kalamazoo Air Zoo back when they flew and I was a kid. Job 1... sweep and clean the hanger. Job 2... pulling props on r2800s. 3... lugging firebottles and getting sunburned marshaling/pulling chocks. They never wanted to risk hydraulic-ing the cylinders, or sheering of the pin on the starter... but dumb kids are just the ticket!

I really miss those birds.

Heath_h49008

I have a powerful love for the N9M at Chino... I was around all of the Grumman "Cats", as well as various other WWII aircraft in the 90's and I got to be a bit of a round motor snob. I keep looking at Vampires, Mig 15's, and thinking how cheap they are to buy, and how expensive they are to feed. But a first generation jet looks like a ton of fun too.

Oh well, I suppose I'll get the deuce that can actually work to earn it's keep first, and wait until I have a better job to buy the toys that don't have to be practical. Some day, I will be able to afford fly something faster than a rented C172... It's motivation to work harder!

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A-26 needs her annual inspection. Before that begins, the plane's owner needs to purchase two large wing jacks. These jacks will hold the plane off her landing gear, so the landing gear can be cycled. He found a smokin deal on a set of used jacks for $5,000 EACH!

YIKES---$5K for each jack! (did that include shipping?)

Somebody here mentioned Chino: wonder if you could've just rented/borrowed a pair from those guys? Guess you know they are mondo into WWII warbirds down there. Maybe a 3 hour drive from B'fied? Lot of A&P guys are volunteers there and the helpful quotient is pretty high.

Anyway, good luck to ya' guys and DO keep posting your progress:beer:

M215

The A26, B25 and P38 have to be some of the coolest war birds ever. I have only seen the A26 & P38 in museums, but love the sound of those big radials on the B25 in person.
Thanks for posting pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks