• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1950’s Continental R6602

JONNYBOY78023

Hey guys,

I don’t even know where to start on this forum, i am new to forums, I know a lot of these trucks on this forum had this engine so I was wondering if anyone could help me. thanks in advance for any help, i have a 1950's Continental R6602, it has sat for roughly 30-50 years. this engine runs a old water well that was used to fill a stock tank for irrigation. i have been working on and off on this engine over the past year, after breaking loose the siezed pistons & some other things i was finally able to get it running and pumping water. my only problem is it currently runs on LPG and im having trouble keeping it running. i would like to just get a gas carburetor and hopefully that would fix my issue. i talked with an older gentleman this morning, he said that it would be a zenith type 63 carb or a 63AW16. anyone know where i can find one? or if thats the right make and model? any help is appreciated. thank you very much!! Also if even knows of a suitable replacement ignition coil for this big engine. Thanks again.

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any ignition coil designed for the battery voltage will do just fine.

The 6602 was a triumph of automotive engineering.

Over 220 HP, at a very usable RPM torque curve. Mill the heads a hundred thousandths and it will really perk up, even on regular gas.

Sodium filled valves with Stellite seats, chrome cylinders with soft cast iron rings, 7 main bearings...what's not to love?

Dennis

JONNYBOY78023

Any ignition coil designed for the battery voltage will do just fine.

The 6602 was a triumph of automotive engineering.

Over 220 HP, at a very usable RPM torque curve. Mill the heads a hundred thousandths and it will really perk up, even on regular gas.

Sodium filled valves with Stellite seats, chrome cylinders with soft cast iron rings, 7 main bearings...what's not to love?

Dennis

yea, this engine is a beast for sure. not looking to do any mods to the engine. just want it running and pumping water. this out at a deer lease in beeville texas and i would like to fill up the stock tank and put some bass in it or something. here is a link to it running. https://1drv.ms/v/s!App6T9fWuAs9jJ9kRtKZMB9DmSswZA?e=OlXu6c

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds mighty fine!

My old M543 wrecker was powered by one, years ago I drove it from Yuma, AZ. to Mesa, AZ., (about 210 miles) and burned just over 200 gallons of gas, but it purred like an angry kitten and had a most lovely blue flame out the exhaust: 34,000 lbs at 55mph.

DG

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Evil Dr. Porkchop on here should have at least a few new or rebuilt zenith's for that engine, you are gonna want the Zenith, but not the older Holley that was on them for the longest time. ..

The only beefs I have with the Holley carbs are #1; they ran overly rich, #2; the vacuum-controlled butterflies (WOT when engine is off) caused the 6602's to cough and backfire until the engine was up in temp (you constantly had to be on top of the choke), and #3; the vacuum-controlled butterflies were slow to react, bogging you down on hills. Meaning, even though you had gotten a good jump on a hill and your foot is on the floor, you lose a good deal of momentum by the time the butterflies are fully open ..

The Holley's butterflies are full-open when you start a 6602 and they close as vacuum increases. This is the opposite of how normal carbs operate, such as the 5-ton MWO update Zenith carb which starts with a closed butterfly, does not rely on vacuum, and is way more responsive to your foot

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... and had a most lovely blue flame out the exhaust: 34,000 lbs at 55mph.
in my last unit (armor) , we still had a handful of cargo's and tractor's (plus the BNs's two M62's) with that engine.. To differentiate them from the Macks, Multifuels, and the M809-series, we called them "brush burners" ,,, for obvious reason! :burn: .. I have also always wondered why the exhaust was so close to the gas tank on the M51's and M52's having vented filler caps .. It's not like the mud shield between them is gonna keep the fumes away .. Never saw or experienced an incident with that danger, but have witnessed the (hardwood) bottoms of M127A2C semitrailers catch fire on long slow downgrades !

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It would be a hoot to have a multiport fuel injected 6602! Could have some driveline issues.
I can remember as a youngster discovering that Holley carb on the 6602. I thought maybe I had died and gone to heaven. It could have been because it was 40 years ago and the small parts in rebuild kit form were plentiful. At that time, those carburetors were the best there was. At least in our eyes anyway.

It was particularly important that was being said by somebody who spent effort and time to match pairs of 850 double pumpers on a tunnel ram for racing. There was a little more to it than meets the eye, but having a flow bench and proper tools made fixing the gas on a 6602 and a Holley really made it hum!

JONNYBOY78023

Evil Dr. Porkchop on here should have at least a few new or rebuilt zenith's for that engine, you are gonna want the Zenith, but not the older Holley that was on them for the longest time. ..

The only beefs I have with the Holley carbs are #1; they ran overly rich, #2; the vacuum-controlled butterflies (WOT when engine is off) caused the 6602's to cough and backfire until the engine was up in temp (you constantly had to be on top of the choke), and #3; the vacuum-controlled butterflies were slow to react, bogging you down on hills. Meaning, even though you had gotten a good jump on a hill and your foot is on the floor, you lose a good deal of momentum by the time the butterflies are fully open ..

The Holley's butterflies are full-open when you start a 6602 and they close as vacuum increases. This is the opposite of how normal carbs operate, such as the 5-ton MWO update Zenith carb which starts with a closed butterfly, does not rely on vacuum, and is way more responsive to your foot

how do i message him on here, cant find where to DM him or something.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6602 was a triumph of automotive engineering. Over 220 HP, at a very usable RPM torque curve. Mill the heads a hundred thousandths and it will really perk up, even on regular gas. Sodium filled valves with Stellite seats, chrome cylinders with soft cast iron rings, 7 main bearings...what's not to love?
Dennis
Over the decades especially in the late-60's and 70's when I started paying attention to big trucks of all kinds, I had come across many 6602-powered fire trucks .. On occasion I may still spot one at almost any northeastern truck show .. Hall-Scott had a beast engine of its own but that is a whole other story o_O

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks