• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M101 clearance lights

Nick

Did 50's era trailers have side clearance marker lights? Ive been thinking of whether I wanna put the typical truck trailer side markers on or not. I dont think it would be original, but whatta ya all think?? Guess it also depends on if I can get the buld for em in 6volt, or someday convert the Power Wagon to 12 volt.

Thanks
Nick

Nick

Thanks.

Got different brake lights and arrow turn signals to match the truck, so Im different there, but wasnt sure if I'd get dinged from cops for no clearance lights.

Thanks

RKBA

Nick,

I don't think the FMVSS for trailers makes exceptions for age.

Trailer Poster Table for Website

Trailers M101 sized require front and rear marker lights as well as reflectors in addition to the rear lights and license illumination. I kind of want to just run tail lights, license light and four side reflectors on mine regardless of the "law".

Nonotagain

Nick,

I don't think the FMVSS for trailers makes exceptions for age.

Trailer Poster Table for Website

Trailers M101 sized require front and rear marker lights as well as reflectors in addition to the rear lights and license illumination. I kind of want to just run tail lights, license light and four side reflectors on mine regardless of the "law".
Unless your home state requires them, only the left hand tail light would have been utilized on early 50 trucks and small utility trailers.

I owned a 50 Chevy 3100 and a 53 Ford pick-up. Both trucks only had left rear stop/running lights. Also there were no reflectors.

It dosen't appear that FMVSS was established until 1960. Lives Saved by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards I think that's about the time that Ralph Nader became involved in vehicle safety and slammed the Corvair.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come on guys, this started out as did 50's era trailers have side clearance marker lights? The answer is no! Did they have dual brake lights? Again No. New guys are going to listen to you, Give the correct answers and don't shoot from the hip.[thumbzup]

Nick

I appreciate the answers. Cuz to be honest I didnt know when the two light thing started. I didnt know the 50's were still single lights.

I have thought of the single light stuff, but with drivers like they are today, Im goin with two brake/running lights and two turn signals. Not so much for authenticity, but more for visibility and my own safety. Dont want all my work to be ruined by some #&&@*%$ runnin into me cuz I only have one light. Like i said I have arrow turn signals that match on both my truck and trailer, so thats kinda cool.

The whole reason I asked about the clearance lights was the same reason, I kinda want them, just for visibility so my work doesnt get ruined, but not sure if they would look weird. These are what I have and was gonna put them on. I know its all bout what ya want and personal preference, but opinions do mean something to me.

Thanks all. Look forward to more comments

Nick

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The kind of clearance light in you picture was available back in those days too. As above, not all vehicles had them. Today, its not a bad idea to have plenty of lights, even though they were not required. There are bulbs available for that light, in all voltages, even 6 volts.

Lee in Alaska

Nick

The kind of clearance light in you picture was available back in those days too. As above, not all vehicles had them. Today, its not a bad idea to have plenty of lights, even though they were not required. There are bulbs available for that light, in all voltages, even 6 volts.

Lee in Alaska
Thanks Lee. I was gonna check with NAPA, and if they had them in 6 volt i was perobably gonna do it. I guess I can put em on and if I dont like em, plug the holes.

Nick

RKBA

Come on guys, this started out as did 50's era trailers have side clearance marker lights? The answer is no! Did they have dual brake lights? Again No. New guys are going to listen to you, Give the correct answers and don't shoot from the hip.[thumbzup]
Well, at the risk of being contrary Nick also stated, "Ive been thinking of whether I wanna put the typical truck trailer side markers on or not. I dont think it would be original, but whatta ya all think??"

That was why I attached the current FMVSS for trailers; I know it isn't original to add the lights - that is not in dispute.

If you are going to operate an ex-mil trailer for something beyond exhibition type use, I think that current basic safety standards should at least be considered.

WIH3

Nick where are you looking at placeing them I would like to put some on this build . The only place I can see is the bottom rail. I am worrried about them getting sheared off. unless I can find a low profile light.

Nonotagain

Nick where are you looking at placeing them I would like to put some on this build . The only place I can see is the bottom rail. I am worrried about them getting sheared off. unless I can find a low profile light.
There are tons of low profile clearance light rails available.

If you are looking at the armored clearance type lights pictured above, just bend up some bracket and mount them below the tailgate on the rail that holds the pogo stick.

My 1997 M105A3 trailers all have clearance lights between the taillights and mounted on either side of the rear of the trailer, but no amber lights mounted on the front. I don't know if it's a length thing or it was exempted, but there are none on either trailer.

If I were going thru the trouble of installing new lights, I would be installing LED’s, as they are almost lifetime lights unlike incandescent bulbs that are prone to filament failure.

WIH3

I did look at the LED's , you are right . i bought metal combo taillights I could'nt afford the led so I thought led in markers would look funny with the incandecent bulbs. I did'nt know that they had rear markers, Ill look at finding those. I thought the side markers would just look cool.

saddamsnightmare

April 9th, 2010.

FMVSS does NOT apply to vehicles of any type built before the inception date (1968?) and some vehicles built to government specifications after that are exempted. My 1961 M422A1 Mighty Mite had the one cat's eye stoplight/taillight on the left rear, blackouts on the right rear, usual headlights/no turn signals and it had to pass as it was grandfathered by the State of West Virginia (where I resided at that time). Most state laws grandfather older vehicles to "original equipment", HOWEVER...... If you choose to add extra lighting units to make it conform to more modern standards, and should one of them not work at time of inspection..... you are sc----! The reflectors applied by the military work exceptionally well for reflex units, if they are in good shape, and if the other drivers run you over with them in place, chances are they were stewed.....
We saw this inainity lately with the State of Wisconsin's DMV assuming to itself powers not granted by the Federal code in that they would not license any Former Military Vehicle, MB,M38,M38A,M35,CUCV, whatever, because they contended they did not meet the FMVSS standards, even though some of the vehicles were built 30+ years before the standards and all were built to FEDERAL specification and exemptions.......! At least Texas has the good sense to recognize them as exceptional vehicles and doesn't require a lot of the bologna and hoops other states do... My Swiss S404.114 differs slightly from standard lighting and was built in Europe in 1963..... so it's exempted from FMVSS and usual lighting standards. I love this place for that....[thumbzup]

Just my two cents worth.....

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan:driver:

Nick

The lights have pictured above will fit perfect width wise on the bottom rail. I didnt think about makin a plate to mount em under the rail. An option, but I like the look of em on the rail. I did consider shearin em off, but I dont forsee myself doin that kinda stuff with it that they would...Who knows. If I do, they were cheap, I can get more. The trailer had em on it when I got it, added more than likely by the USFS since it was theirs when I bought it. So mounting holes are there.

I considered low profile, but again, even though lights in that location aren't totally original, I wanted something somewhat original looking. I cant/wont do LED as the main tow vehicle will be my Power Wagon at 6volt, and not even close to original. And tehy wont match the tail lights and arrow turn signals.

Nick

Nick

Nick good point. SAFETY. Even though my older stuff came with only one rear red service light I always change the right housing to a red one also. Doing it with the correct wires and connectors. And I always make it so it looks professional (no cobbling stuff) and so that it can be put back to 100% original with very little effort. Safety is the reason I do it that way. Most people today driving are used to seeing two red tail/brake lights these days.

I think it is wise to add the side clearance lights in your case. You are going to be using some different tail lights anyway so I would just do it. Also I would add all the lights in such a way that one could reverse the installation and put the trailer back to original without much work.

Thats exactly my thoughts, although this trailer had nothing original on it when I got it. So I guess you can say I'm goin "modern original". New 6 circut trailer wire harness, and the lights ya can see in my pics in my album.

Nick

DESERT RATS

Nick

When you get a chance, can you post a pic of your trailer when you get them mounted up? Also, one pic with them turned on would be great. I'm thinking of doing the same exact thing to mine.
Thanks

Nick

Nick

When you get a chance, can you post a pic of your trailer when you get them mounted up? Also, one pic with them turned on would be great. I'm thinking of doing the same exact thing to mine.
Thanks
Ok, good thing ya asked tonite, I will be talking the bed off the frame at the sandblasters tomorrow or saturday and it will be blasted then painted in the next few weeks, so i wont have the bed. Ill do it tomorrow.

Im gonna use this time to completely rewire the trailer frame with 6 circut trailer wire I got at the local semi truck supply house. Got the original plug connector, and correct intervehicular cable all ready to go.

Nick

Nick

Well heres the look of em temporarily mounted wtih duct tape, I havent drilled new holes for mounting these yet. So, I hadda ground em with a pick to get em to work.

I like it though, think I'm gonna do it.

Nick

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks