• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1980's usmc markings needed

jeepzilla47

I am just about ready to paint my deuce. I want to paint it to honor my dad for his service in the USMC. I am having problems finding markings from the early 80's vehicles. All I have is one picture of him beside a 151 mutt and it appears to be 4 color MERDC. I have a plaque that had his unit markings, but I am unsure which symbol would go on the door.

Here are his numbers

H&S Co BLT 1/8
Beirut Lebanon
24 Marine Amphibious Unit

If anybody has any details or can help, I would be very grateful.

Mike

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This applies to 70's/80's and later USMC vehicles, in MERDC, 383 and 686 (tan) camo.

The basics are, in 2" stecils-
USMC (not U.S.M.C!) on drivers side front and rear.
USMC and vehicle ID number (always a 6-digit number, no letters) on either side of the hood, close to the rear edge.
(note-The M in USMC is not your standard stencil M, but looks like a V with legs. See the pictures)
There will be a code on each door, roughly in the middle that will be M#####, for example M21624. This is a unit identifier that apparently only FrankUSMC can read!
The M##### number is usually somewhere on the back, with no specific location adhered to. It is sometimes also on the passenger side of the front bumper. The M here is the standard stencil style M.
The vehicle number is usually, but not always, on the passenger front and/or rear.

As a general rule, the Marines do not put much in the way of unit identification on their vehicles.

And no stars! The Marines don't put the national marking on their vehicles.

Confused yet? :D I'll post some pictures to clarify things when I can dig them out.

Cheers

PS- Here are some pictures that illustrate what I was saying, all are on M813s because that is what I have the most of and because the Deuce will be very similar.
There can be some 'wandering' of the markings. Note in pic 3 that the lettering is further forward on the hood that normal (close to Vietnam era location though). My guess is the painter didn't want to have to switch to black paint on the brown area; if it is all on the black, he can paint it in one pass with green and still comply with the regs (green on black, black on green or brown).

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're welcome, and Semper Fi to your dad from another old Jarhead! :beer:

On the USMC marking- the letters are too close together to be applied with a regular brass slip-together stencil, which leads me to believe that the Marines have a pre-cut stencil they use for this marking. I cut my own stencil out of thick card (usually a manilla folder). This also allows me to get the M right. Note it is also slightly narrower than the brass stencil M.
I imagine the stencil question will be answered for me in the near future as my Marine son is currently training to be an LSVR driver.

My M813 had its original markings when I got it, and much is still intact. I copied and repainted them on the places I fixed up. You can eyeball the spacing between letters, etc. from the pictures when you do yours, or let me know if you want me to measure the exact spacing on my truck.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A caveat-
The above applies to truck-type vehicles. Once you start getting into armour, etc. the markings are the same, and the above generally applies, but the markings can wander around a bit more.

On vehicles that tended to not have metal doors, or had removable doors, (unarmoured Humvees, M151, etc) the side M-number is usually on the body in front of or under the door cutout or somewhere close to there.

On CUCV type vehicles (M880 types through M1009/1008, etc.) I have seen the vehicle ID (USMC 123456) either on the front fender, or on the door.

And there are always abberations- I saw photos of one truck with the 'USMC' on the passenger side front bumper.
Gunny Ermy- "Your MILITARY left Pyle...!!!"

I'll add some more photos to illustrate this stuff shortly.

Cheers

F18hornetM

Thanks for that post and answers, I have an "Army" duece thats about to be adopted by the Marine Corps!!!!! :D No offense Army guys!! LOL
I was in 1982-1986 and dont remember ever seeing unit markings, seemed like we swapped trucks with units, moved stuff around, borrowed stuff..Only pics I could find besides M109's [radio jeep] and M151's was a new M923, we just got, and it had small 1" numbers on the hood. The old M35's and 813's we had, had large numbers like in your pics. only problem I have is the Army version has a letter in the serial number, so my number will not be accurate but rather a variation.
Say hi to your dad from a marine from the same period. A guy I grew up with died in lebanon, during the barracks bombing, we joined the same time.
Very cool your gonna paint the truck in honor of your dad

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually my dad was killed in the Beirut bombings. That is why I am painting the truck in honor of him
Sorry to hear that, glad you are keeping him with us.
I was an active Marine then, the entire Corps was furious when it happened, we wanted to go over there NOW and attend to things. Those men are never forgotten and are toasted at the Marine Birthday each year. To absent friends...

As infantry, the only vehicles we had assigned to us were M151's with M416's and M880's (all in MERDC), mid-80s we started to get Humvee's and CUCV's (383 camo) to replace those. Everything else was tasked to us from Motor T for a given operation. I don't recall any unit markings at all.
When I was in the Air Wing, all our vehicles were non-tactical, glossy green with yellow markings.

F18- lots of Army trucks get seconded to the Marines (a few without their knowledge, as I recall, but that is another story!). They were repainted and assigned a 6-digit number.

Most later trucks seem to start with a 5. All the 813's I have seen are 57####, CUCV's seem to be 53####, Deuces 51#### or 57####, armour is 52####. So maybe use that and the last four numbers of your army #? That's what I do on my non-Marine originated vehicles.

Cheers

F18hornetM

Sorry to hear that, glad you are keeping him with us.
I was an active Marine then, the entire Corps was furious when it happened, we wanted to go over there NOW and attend to things. Those men are never forgotten and are toasted at the Marine Birthday each year. To absent friends...

Amen to that, if it werent for politcians trying not to offend anyone, it wouldnt have happened....Tell us what you want done, let us "get" it done.

F18hornetM

F18- lots of Army trucks get seconded to the Marines (a few without their knowledge, as I recall, but that is another story!). They were repainted and assigned a 6-digit number.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Oh i know too well, i seem to recall a certain water bull we "aquired" and painted numbers on it..I bet somebody got thier butt chewed for loosing a water bull. and i wont even mention that trailer load of M151 tires that we borrowed!!! LOL ,,ahhhh those were the days,, joint exercises

thanks for the numbers, perfect....Semper Fi

Vintage iron

The marines were always the Black sheep of the armed forces. I was in 1/2 based in Camp Lejeune. Oh boy did we have fun on joint maneuvers with the Army. There were always fist fights in the bars and when we do joint exercises we play to win. I remember being on top of a snow tank armed with a M60 ripping around the tundra in Alaska lighting up a bunch of army guys who had high jacket one of our hummv's. They did like it so much when we rammed them off the road into a ditch. Those were the days. To all those army guys out there, don't take offense. When we didn't have army guys to fight, we would just fight other battalions or support groups! Nothing like morning formation and everyone is hung over and bruised. They are all smiling though!

Last edited:

jeepzilla47

well, i just picked up a cargo cover today. I guess i will use the 3 color camo to match the cover. Which colors do i need? is the green 383 carc? got to track down some bows now.

Also, on the paint application, would it have been sprayed or done with a brush? Friends that have been overseas recently, said they just brushed everything.

Would it be completely wrong if I put the BLT 1/8 on the bumper like the army did?

F18hornetM

well, i just picked up a cargo cover today. I guess i will use the 3 color camo to match the cover. Which colors do i need? is the green 383 carc? got to track down some bows now.

Also, on the paint application, would it have been sprayed or done with a brush? Friends that have been overseas recently, said they just brushed everything.

Would it be completely wrong if I put the BLT 1/8 on the bumper like the army did?

We painted all ours with a brush, but spray sure looks nice, suit yourself i think.

as far as the bumper markings, there is nobody with the nerve to tell you, you cant put your fathers battlion and regiment numbers anywhere you want on that truck. Just my opinion of course. Its YOUR truck!
also I have seen some unit numbers before, Like 1/4 or EAP, or TEECG etc...so some did mark thier vehicles.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess i will use the 3 color camo to match the cover. Which colors do i need? is the green 383 carc?
383 actually refers to the green/black/brown camo pattern (also referred to as 'woodland'). The paint codes are green 34094, brown 30051, and you can use any flat black. Rapco or any of the other military paint sellers will be able to help you get what you want.

The pattern is usually sprayed over a completely green truck, but a lot of touch ups and repaints were done with a brush. Your choice.

As regards what markings you put on - it is your truck, you should do what makes you happy.

Cheers

jeepzilla47

I just wanted to say thanks again for all the info here....I hope to be painting in the next 3-5 weeks. I am starting the rust treatment here and there as I have time. Looks like i am going to have a lot of fun with the wire wheel and needle gun.!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks