• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2-Point Seat Belts...front/rear same?

Wire Fox

I'm a big safety guy, so I thought this might be the best compromise I can come up with that's affordable. I plan to primarily use my HMMWV in 2-door configuration and have the appropriate 3-point seatbelts installed up front; however, on rarer occassion, I would like to remove the troop seats and filler panels to use the rear two seats while doing low-speed off-road driving. In these situations, I want my passengers to have seatbelts, but really don't want to take all of the extra time needed to bolt on the seatbelt assembly and torque everything correctly. Instead, I would like to install 2-point lap belts that I can hopefully just leave in-place when I convert back to the 2-door configuration, meaning that I always have a safety belt assembly available for some basic retention to avoid flinging people from the HMMWV.

The root of my question is this: are the lap belts for the front and rear seats different? I can get a pair of lap belts on eBay for under $30 shipped, but since the manuals have dumped off data about the older lap belts, I'm not certain if they're front/rear specific. If anyone has knowledge of what's correct or experience in making this setup work regardless, please let me know!

papakb

In my 996 ambulance I installed the 3 point seatbelts at least 10 years ago but never paid much attention to their length because the seatbelts fits my wife and I fine. I had a friend with me the other day and the belt I installed on the passengers side was too short for him. The manual says the drivers belt is a 2540-01-315-3358 and the passengers and rear belts are 2540-01-315-3143. Does anyone happen to know what the difference in length is between these 2 seatbelts? I'm trying to figure out which one is the longer of the 2 belts to replace the one on the passengers side.

Thanks in advance.

ryanruck

In my 996 ambulance I installed the 3 point seatbelts at least 10 years ago but never paid much attention to their length because the seatbelts fits my wife and I fine. I had a friend with me the other day and the belt I installed on the passengers side was too short for him. The manual says the drivers belt is a 2540-01-315-3358 and the passengers and rear belts are 2540-01-315-3143. Does anyone happen to know what the difference in length is between these 2 seatbelts? I'm trying to figure out which one is the longer of the 2 belts to replace the one on the passengers side.

Thanks in advance.
Since I installed thicker seats in my truck, I got rid of the old shorter green colored belts in my truck and replaced them with the newer black ones that are longer. They were all the same design, not marked as to required location, and mounted interchangeably just fine. They were substantially longer than the old green ones to the point I don't believe it would matter what side they were mounted.

Can't help with the old lap belt design info though...

Last edited:

Wire Fox

I forgot that I even asked this. I ultimately bought a pair of the same part number, so I should probably do a fitment test and let you guys know if everything works out ok, for the future visitors here. Thanks to Juan for supplying the shouldered bolts to make their install possible!

papakb

The lengths are different between the 2 NSNs and I need to know which of the 2 belts are the longer ones, please. That's why I asked the question in the first place. What I think is that I may have inadvertently installed 2 of the shorter belts to the detriment of my larger friends!

Last edited:

ryanruck

The lengths are different between the 2 NSNs and I need to know which of the 2 belts are the longer ones, please. That's why I asked the question in the first place. What I think is that I may have inadvertently installed 2 of the shorter belts to the detriment of my larger friends!
This is the tag on all 4 belts I have:

IMG_4471.jpg

Mac Motors lists the part number as "SEAT BELT W RETRACTOR 3PT LH& RH".

HUM_12480530_big.jpg

Something else to keep in mind, there are also 2 different length receptacles a longer one that comes up and over the seat (that is included with 12480530) and a shorter one. My truck which came with high backs, when it had the green belts, had the short length receptacles. These 12480530 belts are very long. Long enough to accommodate in any needed position front, rear, left, or right. A buddy that was 375 at the time belted into the front passenger seat just fine.

ETA: For 2540-01-315-3358 MM doesn't specify side or length but comes up as part 12342377-1. 2540-01-315-3143 comes up as 12342377-2 and 12480530, the Commander's belt. I'd venture that's the longer of the two.

Last edited:

papakb

I had a friend measure his seat belts and what he found was the webbing section on his was 123." Mine turned out to be 99" so I definitely need to keep an eye out for a couple of longer ones.

Here's a tidbit out of PM Magazine:

Seatbelts.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks