• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2005 Yamaha Rhino From Govplanet

drivebymashing

rhino.jpg
2005 Rhino 660
The engine was laying in the bed condition unknown.
Turned out it had bad crank bearings, missing the cylinder head, intake, and a ton of other parts. I sent the engine off to be rebuilt. All is well with that part. Reinstall it and I have no brakes there is a hole intentionally drilled in the master cylinder reservoir. Ok not sure why but not problem bought a new one. Bleed the brakes and go to put antifreeze in the radiator...THERE IS A HOLE IN THE RADIATOR ALSO!!! IS this common practice to drill holes in things just for the heck of it? I havent put fuel in the tank yet. Im almost afraid to.....
Also I know Im buying something that they consider junk. Shouldnt the holes in radiator and master cylinder should of been listed in the description? I understand the missing engine parts it was hard for me to tell what was there and what wasnt.

Last edited:

drivebymashing

Wow..... I guess at the least the radiator doesnt cost 900 dollars like they do for some big trucks.... Either way its almost finished!! Im excited about it. The only one sold by govplanet that I can see.

drivebymashing

Ha ha good point. They drilled a hole in the radiator and master cylinder but didnt worry about the 2.3 quarts of engine oil that went everywhere. I just cant believe they ruined those parts just because of bad crank bearings.... Either way I should be riding around on it soon.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mechs expect the truck/vehicle to be scrapped, so they drain fluids in preparation for that. Big no-no to spill liquids on the ground these days.

So school us on this Rhino, is it different from the usual ones like the John Deere M-Gators are?

drivebymashing

No its just like the ones you can buy from a Yamaha dealer except this one has Govplanet stickers all over it! Haha I wish it was more like a mgator. I work at a conference center that has several gators none are the mgator. Ive been wanting one since I saw one. The rhino was much cheaper than the gators were going for. It has a permanent rear locker and selectable 4x4 with a front locker!! Also has low range so it should do great in the woods.

drivebymashing

Well my fear was correct. THERE IS A HOLE IN A THE FUEL TANK ALSO!!! Should I just always expect there is holes in everything that holds fluid on GOVplanet? This is ridiculous.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my fear was correct. THERE IS A HOLE IN A THE FUEL TANK ALSO!!! Should I just always expect there is holes in everything that holds fluid on GOVplanet? This is ridiculous.
I would always expect junk and plan accordingly. That said I bet 80% of the items are operational. But without an inspection before buying of the equipment you are purchasing it is a crap shoot. We all hoped that the change to Gov Planet and higher prices based on "Inspection Reports and Transparency" would provide a better purchasing experience, but your recent case is testament to "Buyer Beware"

drivebymashing

At least the differentials still had fluid. Thats the bad thing it wasnt junk until they purposely put holes in it.... Do they knock holes in the bigger vehicles like hummers and 5 tons? I guess a fuel tank radiator and a master cylinder would be much more expensive for a hummer or bigger. What it looked like to me judging by the condition. They bought it ran it without any service until the engine seized. Took the engine out starting taking it apart having no idea what they were doing. Realized the engine was junk and then started drilling holes in things to make sure it was totally worthless. Thats my professional opninion. Eiher way half a million dollars later... started it today....

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the one item I bought had fluids in it, I've heard storied of everything you can imagine. From transformers that were "drained" by sticking a pump into it just to the top of the core and sucking off fluid to that level to 5 tons with a pick axe taken to the oil pan.

"Fluids drained" scare the **** out of me unless I can inspect it first. Scrap bid.

Of course, that was all GL auctions, but I assume it's the military "draining" things.

drivebymashing

Bought a new battery new starter new starter solenoid all new fluids. Tons of new bolts.... Now a new ignition coil. This thing is nickle and dimeing me to death. I think buying a new one with a warranty would of been cheaper. Its been a learning experience thats for sure.

drivebymashing

Drove it today for the first time. It has a ton of power spins like crazy under full throttle. Will go over almost any terrain in 2wd. I really dont know what you would need 4wd for. Either way millions and millions of dollars later.... runs great tons of fun. Future reference it cost a fortune to work on a rhino.

drivebymashing

I plan on installing a windshield and half doors. Heat and a radio would be nice... I have a z06 corvette for all those fancy buttons... Yes the efforts were tough.... The full time rear locker and part time front locker is insane. It would probably drive up a wall or tree. Ill have to try it.

drivebymashing

Order a windshield. Have half doors installed already. Doing the first oil change since new engine. Runs great almost the same top speed of the m35a2 i just sold. So far much easier to work on then a 13 thousand pound truck way faster acceleration... I miss my deuce.....

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Order a windshield. Have half doors installed already. Doing the first oil change since new engine. Runs great almost the same top speed of the m35a2 i just sold. So far much easier to work on then a 13 thousand pound truck way faster acceleration... I miss my deuce.....

It's OK Big Guy................there are more out there....................It's still a very sweet ride. I wouldn't trade my deuce for one though. Nope

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks