• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

205 swap in a 1008

Crash_AF

Hey guys,
I've found an NP205 from a 89 1 ton that is the 6 round pattern, does anyone know if this will bolt straight up to my TH400 or will I need to change something? Also, what parts would I need to complete the conversion?

I'm building a wrecker out of mine. Already did the dually conversion and soon will swap the saddle tank for a Suburban tank in the rear to clear the tool boxes. Will post up pics once I get the bed mounted.

Later

tymbom

Yes the round pattern 205 should bolt right up if you have the correct adapter. The drive shaft lengths will be different and the end will needed to be changed for a fixed yoke on the 205. Also the cross member mount is shorter on the 205 adapter. You could swap cross members or just fab up a spacer to make up the difference. I did this swap in my truck back in December.

Crash_AF

I have the 400 to 208 adapter that came stock. All I'm getting is the transfer, no crossmembers or shifters. Might do a twin stick kit on it to get 2Low. We'll see.
Yea, it's fixed yoke. Probably just going to have a slip joint driveshaft made for it.

Bed I've found is a Holmes twin line sling. Going to run it off the PTO port on the 205. Might try to hunt down a 4L80 or a complete 6.5 mechanical/4L80 combo and turbo it so it has some extra grunt.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, is this the mechanical one or hydraulic. Since you mentioned PTO I'm going to venture a guess at a Holmes 480. I'm sure you already know this but in case you didn't, the CUCV has a 56" cab to axle measurement and the commercial wreckers have a 60" measurement. You can either move the bed fwd, just deal with the tires not being centered or make it a 60". While there are some other details, turning the springs 180 degrees will net you the 60" required.

Mercunimog404

Banned
I have the 400 to 208 adapter that came stock. All I'm getting is the transfer, no crossmembers or shifters. Might do a twin stick kit on it to get 2Low. We'll see.
Yea, it's fixed yoke. Probably just going to have a slip joint driveshaft made for it.

Bed I've found is a Holmes twin line sling. Going to run it off the PTO port on the 205. Might try to hunt down a 4L80 or a complete 6.5 mechanical/4L80 combo and turbo it so it has some extra grunt.
With the 208 you can do 2lo by just not locking the hubs.

Crash_AF

According to the guy, the bed was on a Dodge pickup chassis, not a cab & chassis. I'm going this weekend to take a look and some measurements to verify this.

I'd like some more info on moving the axle to get it to 60" CA though. What's involved besides rotating the springs? Remember, I'm going to have to have a driveshaft made anyway, so that's not a concern.

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flipping the spring is the main part. I can't remember if I had to do anything with the helper pads or not. The rear shock mount may need to be moved but my truck was lifted so it needed mods anyways. You can affix the bed on a pickup but the wheels won't be centered. I contemplated chopping 4" off the front of the bed but it proved too much work. The older sling type wrecker beds mount super close to the rear spring hangars. I had to chop a section of frame off the back to get the bed into position. Super cool project Joe!

Crash_AF

Well, the deal I had on the 205 fell through, and the wrecker bed disappeared before I could move on it... BUT

With every cloud, there's a silver lining. A Holmes 480 bed for dirt cheap appeared early this week and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Like, scrap price dirt.

So... I'm still hunting for a 205 and everything to put it in my 1008. Halfway considering putting a SM465 and 205 in it, as I can find them all over the place, but I'd really prefer to keep the auto. Of course, since the 480 is a chain driven winch bed... I might need a clutch... didn't think about that.

I suppose I'll figure it out... LOL Pics once I get all the appropriate pieces rounded up. Anyone in a reasonable distance from CO have a 400/205 combo for sale?

Crash_AF

Got the bed. Paid $350 for it as it sits. Bed is kind of beat up but the boom assembly is complete and seems to work fine without being able to test it on a PTO. Managed to lose the PTO end of the driveshaft on the trip home, must have bounced out of the bed, but everything else is there, chain, dog gear and shaft.

I'm debating now, should I just swap an NV4500 into the truck to get overdrive and PTO port, or should I continue to try to find a 400/205 combo?

Thoughts?IMG_1081.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's actually a pretty solid looking 480. PTO shaft parts are easy to come up with. The NVG would be a great swap but will take some work to complete. Both are good options. I'd lean 5 speed.

Crash_AF

Thinking of having a shop professionally mount it. This bed came off of a 70s Ford, so I don't know what brackets are missing and/or would need to be fabricated. I'm not opposed to the extra work to put the 5 speed in there. I think I'm going to try to go that route for the granny first and overdrive. Would make the truck much more useful.

If you happen upon anyone parting one of these out, I could use a few of the body parts, the side bins are rotten on top from stuff getting between the bin and deck, and the rear bin door is bent from a forklift or something. Also could use a better tow sling. Same stuff used on a 440.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks