• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 Bolt Goodyear MT/Rs runflat question about balancing beads

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to install some balancing beads in my HMMWV tires but since I have runflats and assume grease was added for them so would not the beads just get stuck in the grease? Am I wasting my time?

Thanks,

Mark

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beads won't work with grease. The only way to know is break them down and look inside. I suppose you could remove the runflats and clean out the grease, but I would still be concerned about residual grease causing problems.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working with plenty of running water (like from a garden hose) and a stiff brush it shouldn't be a problem eliminating even the last trace of that grease. (Done it, dozens of times.)
But then the runflat better be replaced by a (internal) beadlock. Or modify the original runflat inserts, shown here...

G.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+1 on retaining some form of the beadlock grigeltube. I've read where many who know these trucks have advised against running without!
:tigger:Safety first!:tigger:

kevin101

Can these tires be mounted without runflats? I've purchased a HMMWV but haven't gotten the EUC yet and I really don't know much about the wheels.

tobyS

I bought some 24 bolt HMMWV wheels and tires a while ago and recently bought an M1101 with 12 bolt. Does one have run flats and not the other? How hard are beadlocks to find for the 16.5"?

Action

I bought some 24 bolt HMMWV wheels and tires a while ago and recently bought an M1101 with 12 bolt. Does one have run flats and not the other? How hard are beadlocks to find for the 16.5"?
They should both have the same 1-piece rubber runflats / beadlocks in them.
You can find PVC beadlocks for these.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks