• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 Bolt torque specs?

Mohawk Dave

Hey guys,

I have the 24 bolt HMMWV rims, the ones with paired bolts (the heavy duty of the 2 24 bolt versions) and can not find the torque specs any where on SS or the web. Tried TWF and everywhere else. I found the specs for 12 bolt, but not mine.

I also know that you re-torque periodically, after something like 50 miles, then 500 miles, then every 3k from then on.....or similar, but you catch my drift. Is any one certain of the specs?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the torque spec stamped on the rim?

jwaller

85 on the first pass, 110 on the second.

9-2320-387-24-1 page 1424

8-4.2. RADIAL TIRE, WHEEL, AND RUBBER RUNFLAT MAINTENANCE
(PAIRED 24-STUD) (Cont’d)
17. Tighten locknuts (1) to 85 lb-ft (115 N•m) in tightening sequence shown.
18. Tighten locknuts (1) to 110 lb-ft (149 N•m) in tightening sequence shown.
19. Check wheel assembly (4) for gaps at each stud (2). Use 0.0015 in. (0.038 mm) thickness gauge to
detect gaps. If gaps are detected, disassemble and reassemble wheel assembly (4) and recheck for
gaps. If gaps are still detected, replace outer rim half (3).
WARNING
• Always use an OSHA approved tire inflation cage for inflation
purposes. Stand on one side of the cage during inflation; never
directly in front. Keep hands out of cage during inflation. Inflate
assembly to recommended pressure using a clip-on air chuck. Do
not exceed 50 psi (345 kPa) cold-inflation pressure. Failure to
follow these instructions may result in serious injury or death.
• Never inflate a wheel assembly without having checked wheel
locknut torques to ensure the wheel locknuts are tightened to
specifications. An assembly with improperly tightened locknuts
could separate under pressure, resulting in serious injury
or death.

Mohawk Dave

jwaller,

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Is there any other quirks that you guys know about concerning these rims that I should know about?

doghead, no, there is no stamping in them.

Thanks again,

Dave

jwaller

jwaller,

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Is there any other quirks that you guys know about concerning these rims that I should know about?

doghead, no, there is no stamping in them.

Thanks again,

Dave
not that I know of. I also have 24's on my truck but they are the even spaced ones.

the TM didn't mention going back and checking the torque after putting some miles on it but I don't think it will hurt.

ryanruck

Needed to resurrect this thread to see if anyone has an up to date PDF of the above referenced TM 9-2320-387-24-1 with the diagram of the recommended bolt tightening pattern for the E rated/paired 24 bolt wheels.

My PDF only has the 12 bolt wheels and the update supplement PDF I found on here only has the D rated/evenly spaced 24 bolt wheels.

All of my internet searching for that referenced 8-4.2 section just keeps bringing me to this thread, no PDF anywhere I can find it.

Thanks!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not just tighten the first nut to 85lb/ft, the pattern is not as important as pulling the two have together evenly, if done unevenly enough you will push the o ring out of its groove and it will leak, pay attention to how much stud is protruding out of the nuts as you go...

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
torque pattern evenly spaced
hmmwv tire 24 even-1.jpg

Torque pattern paired studs (in case the earlier image is hard to read)
hmmwv tire 24 paired-1.jpg

I use either a sharpie (hard to see but works) or a paint marker and go around the rim labeling every stud in it's torque sequence so I don't get lost/confused and miss tightening any nuts down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks