• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

240V Heater Deal

csheath

Just came across this deal on a 5000 watt 208/240 heater. It has settings for 3000, 4000, and 5000 watts. $69.99 and free shipping on orders over $99. 2 of these would make a dandy load bank you can use as a heater to boot.

csheath

Too bad they are showing out of stock on the 7500 watt version. One 5000 and a 7500 would make a great combo but having two 5000s should be enough to work an 803.

Chrispyny

I mentioned i had this heater a few times i think. Its actually what i also paid for it. Great price, great heater. I have had it up since last fall. It’s GREAT to give my mep-802a a workout. I use it monthly to work out the genset.

If anyone is on the fence, DON’T be, just go buy it. I got mine from rural king also.

Tem

It says there must be 6 feet between the unit and the floor.

Is this necessary?

Im looking at getting two, but don't want to permanently mount them. Would it be an issue to leave them on the ground while they run for an hour or so?

Thanks

Chrispyny

Is this necessary?

Im looking at getting two, but don't want to permanently mount them. Would it be an issue to leave them on the ground while they run for an hour or so?

Thanks
These are meant to be hung. They generate a lot of heat and would be unsafe on the ground. They are also meant to be hardwired, no leads.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Is this necessary?

Thanks
I would not run heater directly sitting on ground but I have run mine as a load test/monthly exercise run for my MEP-002a sitting outside positioned securely up on concrete blocks on gravel surface (nothing flammable close by). I wired mine using 10 AWG SOOW copper wire 12' cable with a plug on the end so I can either plug into my spider box on my genset or hang from the included mount on shop ceiling and then plug into my nearby 240 V outlet in shop. That way it becomes a multipurpose unit and is working fine that way. BTW, I was impressed with the build quality of the heater, its a steal at the discounted price!

WP_20180116_001.jpg

Last edited:

mnb123

I have had the same unit for the past 13 months (at the same price) and have been very pleased. The bracket that comes with the unit is only designed for hanging, the sides are too short to be flipped, but with a piece of flat steel, two bends, and 5 holes, you can mount it to a tripod. I used the "Heat Storm Tripod Stand" from amazon which seems to have gone up in price. This tripod and a plug that matches my welder allows me to have portable heat in my barn and with an adapter plug, lets me use the heater in the drier plug at my house as a backup heat source if I am unable to get propane delivery.

Tem

I have had the same unit for the past 13 months (at the same price) and have been very pleased. The bracket that comes with the unit is only designed for hanging, the sides are too short to be flipped, but with a piece of flat steel, two bends, and 5 holes, you can mount it to a tripod. I used the "Heat Storm Tripod Stand" from amazon which seems to have gone up in price. This tripod and a plug that matches my welder allows me to have portable heat in my barn and with an adapter plug, lets me use the heater in the drier plug at my house as a backup heat source if I am unable to get propane delivery.
How hot does the bracket get where it attaches to the tripod? How thick was the flat steel?

Thanks

mnb123

It worked out that I was starting and loading my 802 this weekend so I took some measurements. Bracket is made of 3/16 thick because thats what I had laying around, but is very much overkill. The unit is not very heavy at all. Measurements were taken after running the 5000 setting for 45 minutes in my barn with the doors closed (no other airflow other than the fan on this unit). Unit has 4 louvers to direct air up or down. I placed these at a 45 degree angle up to force airflow over them and get you a good measurement of how hot they will get under normal operation.

Bottom of the tripod leg - 31F
Top of tripod upright just below bracket - 33.3F
Bottom of heater - 43.3F
Side of heater - 57.4F
Side of bracket - 44.1F
Bottom of Bracket - 33.4F
Top of heater - 51.4F
Louver - 153.1F

Keep in mind that the unit is designed with a large airgap on the bottom of the unit between the bottom of the heater box and the bottom of the unit because this is where the wire connections are made. The bottom of the unit swings down to provide access. Before putting it on the tripod I did set the unit directly on concrete and never had any issues.

Tem

It worked out that I was starting and loading my 802 this weekend so I took some measurements. Bracket is made of 3/16 thick because thats what I had laying around, but is very much overkill. The unit is not very heavy at all. Measurements were taken after running the 5000 setting for 45 minutes in my barn with the doors closed (no other airflow other than the fan on this unit). Unit has 4 louvers to direct air up or down. I placed these at a 45 degree angle up to force airflow over them and get you a good measurement of how hot they will get under normal operation.

Bottom of the tripod leg - 31F
Top of tripod upright just below bracket - 33.3F
Bottom of heater - 43.3F
Side of heater - 57.4F
Side of bracket - 44.1F
Bottom of Bracket - 33.4F
Top of heater - 51.4F
Louver - 153.1F
That's way more precise than I needed.... but had exactly the information I need. THANKS!!!!

I have a couple tripods used for large speakers that I was thinking about using. I can easily order a tripod mount that is plastic and won't need any modification. I was concerned the heat would be too much and would melt the plastic. There was a metal adapter I could get, but it would require some modification. I'm going to order the plastic and take the easy route.

Thanks again!

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth my homemade load bank is similar in design and twice the output. I have always run it sitting on the ground and yet to have any problems.

View attachment 716264
The manufacturer will always default to the least educated person's abilities and knowledge that is using their product. As long as there is sufficient air flow around the unit and no contact with flammables, there shouldn't be any problems.

They don't want someone running their unit on a carpeted floor and then suing them when their house burns down.:shrugs:

Tem

Here are some photos of my setup. I did two of the 5,000W heaters for my 003a.

The mounting bracket that comes with it worked fine. I had to drill two holes on the long section of the mount for the tripod mount. I also drilled a hole on each side in the bottom section of the heater and bolted the bracket in place upside down from what they intend.

The tripod is a speaker tripod that is commonly used by DJ's. I just happen to have two so that was easy, but there are fairly inexpensive if one had to buy them. The plastic bracket that fits the tripod was bought for less than $10 and shipped free in 2 days.

I'm happy with the setup. It will double as load bank and a heater if needed for emergencies.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks