• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v battery trickle charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

natemccabe

this is probally a dumb question, I recently aquired a 24v 2 amp charger on the advice of the battery shop I use, do I hook it up to both batteries at once, negative to the front battery and positive to the rear? its gonna have to wait anyways as the cord snapped while getting it out of the back due to it being -40 right now.

bshupe

I would take an experts advice over my own but the simplest answer (likeliest) is that a 24v charger needs to "see" both batteries to function properly. 2cents

Scarecrow1

I agree with bshupe if it is a 24 volt it should fry a 12 volt by itself but, again like the man said ask the guy who sold it to you I have once last month and again this last week found where someone has gotten in my truck flipping switches and killed the crap out of my battery. I have a kill switch but not the time to put it in yet. Where if you don't mind me asking did you find a 24 volt charger and was it at a decent price?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion is, you would be better off with 2 separate 12v trickle chargers.

Last edited:
By charging the front battery with a 12v charger it also makes it back to the rear battery doesn't it? I killed my batteries stone dead and just hooked a charger to the front and in a couple hours all was fine.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
no, it's electricity, not water.

F18hornetM

A 24 volt battery charger is going to put out a little more than 24 volts. I would think it would boil to death a 12 volt battery. Why not just charge both batteries at once? 24 volt. Hook up to the + terminal going to the truck and the - going to the frame.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have 2 separate batteries that have their own charging systems. They are not used equally in a cucv, like they are in a 2.5 ton or 5 ton truck.

The best way to charge them is, individually.

A 24 volt battery charger is going to put out a little more than 24 volts. I would think it would boil to death a 12 volt battery. Why not just charge both batteries at once? 24 volt. Hook up to the + terminal going to the truck and the - going to the frame.
That is how you would use a 24v charger.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

no, it's electricity, not water.

Now thet raht thar is funny, I don' kere hoo you are! :mrgreen:

twomore, the reason life was good was because you put enough charge in one of the batteries to get the engine started, and then running the truck charged them both up. The front one didn't share any charge with the back one.

Just like putting one good D cell in a flashlight that takes two D cells. You'll get light, but it won't be as bright as if you had TWO charged D cells.

If one of the D cells is stone totally cold dead, you may not get any light at all, even with one fresh one. However, if it's just nearly dead (not really most sincerely dead), you can use the light with one fresh D cell.

twomore, the reason life was good was because you put enough charge in one of the batteries to get the engine started, and then running the truck charged them both up. The front one didn't share any charge with the back one.

Just like putting one good D cell in a flashlight that takes two D cells. You'll get light, but it won't be as bright as if you had TWO charged D cells.

If one of the D cells is stone totally cold dead, you may not get any light at all, even with one fresh one. However, if it's just nearly dead (not really most sincerely dead), you can use the light with one fresh D cell.
I appreciate you trying to answer my question with a real answer instead of a joke, as I truly didn't understand. If the rear battery is isolated on it's own system and used for starting, then how come the starter wouldn't engage even though the front battery was dead? (I left my lights on) Serious question, trying to get some more knowledge about the system.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front battery does all the 12v stuff(like a normal truck). You left your light on, so the front battery went dead.

The rear battery is used in series(in-line) with the front battery for starting and GP power.

Each battery has it's own charging system.

I was using an analogy(it was not a joke)

With the flashlight analogy, think like this, one battery could be dead. You can charge just one battery. You can charge one battery while two are connected in series(in-line).

Now, let's stop hijacking this thread and cover this on your thread.

rickf

If you measure between the hot terminal of the rear battery and the negative terminal of the front battery you will get 24 volts so you can hook it up to those terminals. The problem is what Doghead said is true in that the only thing 24 volt on the vehicle is the starter, and radios in a 1009 if you have them. Everything else in 12 volt and runs off of the front battery thereby creating an imbalance in the batteries which is why you have two alternators. That being said............................. One alternator charges the front battery at 12 volts and the other alternator charges the rear and front at 24 volts using 12 volts and 12 volts as a ground. Got all that? :confused:

Rick

emr

... you can buy a slave cable head from this site and wire your charger to the head and just plug it into the slave port also when not in use, this is the easiest i would think, but i always keep 12 volts on all mine but thats me, as you learn more you will change what you do. wear goggles :)

Last edited:

natemccabe

I saw that battery tender page as well, but now that I know doghead is against it (I kneal before his cucv electrical know how), I think I'll try to retun the unused, but damaged 24v charger and get two 12v ones. Since I have done the resistor bypass, I know for sure there is not the same voltage in both batteries. On a side note, I am going to undo the resistor bypass. It takes like what seems forever to warm the GPs up in the morning.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently acquired a 24v 2 amp charger on the advice of the battery shop I use
I do not think your shop understands how they CUCV charging system works.

Individual charging is best. In your case, easily available and cost effective.

Even on a deuce or 5 ton, individual carging is always best(not necessarily practical or needed though).

MarcusOReallyus

My only concern about using 2 12v chargers is whether or not they share a ground on their 12v front end. If they don't, then that's definitively the way to go.

If they DO, you are likely to let the magic smoke out of them.

Most likely, they do NOT.

The way to tell for sure is to measure the resistance between the each of the 12v leads and the 120v AC plug terminals. If there is no continuity between either of the 12v leads and the 120v terminals, you are good to go.

That's the most likely arrangement, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks