• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v to 12v converter?

Bravojmc

Does anyone know a cheaper way to get a 12v source on my Hmmwv? I do not have a dual alternator... I see the small 24v to 12v boxes on epay but don't know if it will work.. all I'm going to be running on 12v is a [h=1]Pro-Gard G5000UTX-V electronic long gun mount... anyone have any ideas? IMG_7600.jpg[/h]

shawnshumvee

Hi. I also was hoping there was a way i could cheat and get 12 volts from the Humvee, some how-some way? But no luck. I believe there isn't any tricks, so i decided to get a cheap small black plye converter and hook it up. Well, it works perfect and I'm running a small Radio, Small cobra CB, small light bar (like the H1 hummer has, you know, the small 3 amber one above the windshield) and an USB port. and everything seems fine. So currently that's the only option i know. In my opinion the 24 volt system stinks. It makes customizing more difficult and expensive, but thats my opinion.
good luck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hi. I also was hoping there was a way i could cheat and get 12 volts from the Humvee, some how-some way? But no luck. I believe there isn't any tricks, so i decided to get a cheap small black plye converter and hook it up. Well, it works perfect and I'm running a small Radio, Small cobra CB, small light bar (like the H1 hummer has, you know, the small 3 amber one above the windshield) and an USB port. and everything seems fine. So currently that's the only option i know. In my opinion the 24 volt system stinks. It makes customizing more difficult and expensive, but thats my opinion.
good luck.
Your other options are a battery equalizer or a dc-dc converter. I have a Newmar 32-12-35a (dc-dc conterter) that will convert 24v to 12v and if I choose, it has an option to maintain a 12v battery.
http://www.newmarpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Manual-DC-Converter-Std.pdf

gimpyrobb

Just so its been stated, I believe the battery equalizer to be a better option(thats what I am currently using. 21100E00-100A I believe).

infidel got me

Bravojmc- I have installed 2 of the waterproof convertors in my battery compartment(two separate trucks). I'm running just a cell charger right now, but plan on a am/fm radio, cb, light bar and a dome light. No issues so far.. Purchased on e-prey for under $15, with free shipping. Sellers name is wenhaisi 6. ( I'm not affiliated with e- bay seller)

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If youre not going to be pulling a ton of current, then you can take power from the second battery, you will have 12 Volts, that is what I do for the CB and cell phone charger , no problems
Check it out with a voltmeter, first battery is at 24V, second is 12V and the same goes for charging, it drops to half on the second battery+

IMG_1604.JPG

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

If youre not going to be pulling a ton of current, then you can take power from the second battery, you will have 12 Volts, that is what I do for the CB and cell phone charger , no problems
Check it out with a voltmeter, first battery is at 24V, second is 12V and the same goes for charging, it drops to half on the second battery+

View attachment 680438
Do not follow this advice, it will ruin your batteries!

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without starting a life long debate, I have to ask why it would ruin the batteries
I have been running this setup and have no issues with my batteries
If I would be running a winch or something like that, I could understand.
But for a momentary switch, such as the one to release an rifle or 12V supply for a CB or cell Phone charger, I don't see an issue
Is there a reasoning that it would ruin the batteries ?

papakb

If you don't understand electrical power then tapping off of the low side battery is a disaster waiting to happen. It's even worse if you tap across the high side battery. Everything should reference to the vehicle ground but simply tapping off of the low side battery draws power from that battery first creating an imbalance in the system which is a no no. There are plenty of inexpensive 24v to 12v converters (regulators, voltage droppers) out there from China and most of them will work OK for relatively low current loads such as small AM/FM radios or basic CBs or music players but when you start to draw serious currents like higher power radios do your asking for trouble. In that case you really want a battery management system like those made by Vanner. They take in the 24 volt power and balance the draw equally so that you have safe, solid 12 volt power and they have units that will handle up to 100 amps. The Vanner units can be expensive because they're made for commercial systems but you can find them online for reasonable prices.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

donquijote

Papakb... what is the max safe amp load you recommend on a cheap inverter before moving to better commercial grade?

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

Papakb... what is the max safe amp load you recommend on a cheap inverter before moving to better commercial grade?

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk
I would stay an amp or two below its rated output. If you are using delicate electronics with the converter, it might be time to look at "good" ones.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know a cheaper way to get a 12v source on my Hmmwv? I do not have a dual alternator... I see the small 24v to 12v boxes on epay but don't know if it will work.. all I'm going to be running on 12v is a Pro-Gard G5000UTX-V electronic long gun mount... anyone have any ideas? View attachment 680375
First, before you make this decision, you need to tell us how much amperage you are going to require. You need to tell us what type of equipment you will be running. If you are just going to charge a cellphone, a simple 2Amp converter that plugs into a lighter is available. If you are going to run a 2000 Watt stereo system, then you need entirely different technology.

If you are considering running a 12V winch, then you do not need to make any changes because a 12V winch will operate on a 24V circuit.

My suggestion is first decide how much amperage you're going to need. Then multiply that number by 2. The final number will dictate what type of converter you require.

T

Last edited:

Bravojmc

First, before you make this decision, you need to tell us how much amperage you are going to require. You need to tell us what type of equipment you will be running. If you are just going to charge a cellphone, a simple 2Amp converter that plugs into a lighter is available. If you are going to run a 2000 Watt stereo system, then you need entirely different technology.

If you are considering running a 12V winch, then you do not need to make any changes because a 12V winch will operate on a 24V circuit.

My suggestion is first decide how much amperage you're going to need. Then multiply that number by 2. The final number will dictate what type of converter you require.

T
I listed what I'm wanting to install on my rig in the first thread. Only thing I want to run on 12v is the momentary switch... I have a external backup battery to charge my cell if need be and the winch will be 24v

Craig2121

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i just got a pulse tech distribution panel circuit breaker, off "Eb@@".....cheap....seems well built an rugged but havent installed yet, been raining for 2 weeks now.....i read a thread in here someplace about someone having one....hahaha, sorry thats all i remember bout thread....plan on just running the usual electronics.....its got 8 24's....4 12's in it.

gimpyrobb

i just got a pulse tech distribution panel circuit breaker, off "Eb@@".....cheap....seems well built an rugged but havent installed yet, been raining for 2 weeks now.....i read a thread in here someplace about someone having one....hahaha, sorry thats all i remember bout thread....plan on just running the usual electronics.....its got 8 24's....4 12's in it.
I've helped a member here install one of those, they are very nice, but not a dc-dc converter. I recommend using a 24-12v dc converter to hook up the 12v side(or a battery equalizer).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks