• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v winch on a 12v vehicle

oldMan99

First, this is not for a MV, but... I don't know of any other group with as much experience combining or working with both 24 and 12 volt systems as you guys here on SS.

I have a friend with a 1 ton civilian tuck which of course uses regular 12 volt system.

He wants to install a Warn 18k pound 24v winch. We have been discussing the various ways to get the winch to work properly. He is not interested in converting the winch to 12v, he wants it to work at the designed 24v.

I am in very good understanding of series and parallel DC systems and can configure voltage/amperage as needed, but have never attempted to combine voltages like this before.

I am aware of the voltage converters that could be used to charge a bank of 2 deep cycle marine batteries in series to make and store 24v. The problem with the converters is that the ones that output more than a few amps are $500+ and the smaller more affordable ones will not even begin to be able to keep up with the winch.

I have considered adding a dedicated 24v alternator and running a complete 24v system, (Just the opposite of what is needed on the MV's). But the engine bay is already pretty tight and I'm not sure this is a feasible option.

Is there another option I have not considered? Is there some way to have a normal 12v system charge the 2 batteries used for the 24v system?

Alternatively, (And a distant second choice) does anybody make a 18,000 pound (or more) 12v winch?

Thanks in advance!

majorhitt

I would look into converting the winch to 12v. It's only a small electric motor. 12v or 24v motors should be avaliable for your winch. look into a motor swap, A 12v motor will cost a lot less than $500 and you could hang on to the 24v motor, if or when you put the winch on another truck.

oldMan99

Thanks! I did not know there was such an animal. After reading this I did some goggling and found some info on those switches.

From the looks of it this would work but you don't get alternator charging when in 24v mode. This would be less than optimal for the very high amperage demands of winching.

I think I am going to recommend that he just install a 24v alt and 2 batteries in series and have a completely separate system.

As for converting it to 12v: Warn does not offer any winch over 15k in 12v. There must be a reason they do not offer the 18k in 12v. Likely nobody makes a suitable motor or the motor would need more amperage than most vehicles would be able to deliver. By going with a 24v motor they cut the amperage needs in half.

oldMan99

Warn, Ramsey, etc. offer hydraulic winches that run off of your power steering in the 18k range. I believe they use 12v for the remote control.
Warn Industries - Hydraulic Winches: Series 18

The Warn 18k hydraulic uses 15gpm. I am not positive but I would be willing to bet that is way more than your power steering pump can put out. It also has a MSRP of almost $2500. Just guessing but the "street price" will likely be around $2,000. That is over 2x the price of the 24v 18k.

I have already recommended either the 24v alternator/batteries option OR installing an engine driven clutch operated hydraulic pump (About $450-500) instead of the alternator, no additional batteries and a 20k hydraulic winch. But again, the winch cost is a lot more than the 24v 18k electric and you will need a small reservoir (Probably a gallon or two) and some sort of small cooler for extended use.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used a series parallel switch with another battery. What you want to do is use 2 relays that energize the switch in two different ways. One for winch in and one for winch out. You can then use a 2 channel wireless remote and you don't have to worry about the switch staying on and overheating. You also have to use a 50 amp auto reset circuit breaker to keep the 12 volt battery charging circuit from exceeding 50 amps when the added battery is put back in parallel with your existing batteries. It is simple to do but I am not sure if it is really worth it. You can get a Wally world battery and if you have any issues they will give you a new one. So all is not lost if you charge the thing to death.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot to add, you do get charging every time you take your finger of the winch in or out switch if you hook it up right. I have 2 batteries I use to test winches. I use them for several weeks before I charge them back up. I do lift and lower each winch to verify they work before I ship them. I don't have any load over 170 lbs which is nothing so my agm batteries really don't drain down much. I usually check to see if they are below 90% and put the slow charger back on them. With a really good deep discharge battery I can't imagine killing the battery with one recovery operation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks