• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 in 1 tool?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In this post, https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/fmtv-special-tools.167478/#post-2032686, there lists a 3 in 1 seal tool. I've been searching around here and the TM's but I have not found the application. I am looking to tool up for a CTIS seal replacement. Is this tool applicable?
I don't think it has to do with the CTIS seals. I bought one of the 3-in-1 tools just to have it, measure it, etc.

All the needed seal drivers are detailed in the back of the TMs. The 3-in-1 tool doesn't seem to match up to any of them dimensionally, and I still haven't figured out what it's for. I've 3D printed modified versions of the axle seal driver designs, and used them successfully. There is a post around here about it... search for something like "3D printed seal driver".

Mad Deranger

Great. Thanks. I saw the post on the 3D printed "cut off hub" . Is that a tool for holding the spider gear in place for measurement? I think my CR10 can print that.

Humm. I wonder if that 3 in 1 tool is for engine seals.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great. Thanks. I saw the post on the 3D printed "cut off hub" . Is that a tool for holding the spider gear in place for measurement? I think my CR10 can print that.
Yes, for measuring the spider gears when re-shimming them. The full circle doesn't fit on my Prusa MK3S, so I have a version of it that still holds all the spider shafts in place but has the arc between them truncated into flats, so that it fits on the rectangular print bed better.

Humm. I wonder if that 3 in 1 tool is for engine seals.
Not sure, and it has that weird little cable-toggle on it that seams like it was important to the design for some reason.
1624283760525.png

coachgeo

Yes, for measuring the spider gears when re-shimming them. The full circle doesn't fit on my Prusa MK3S, so I have a version of it that still holds all the spider shafts in place but has the arc between them truncated into flats, so that it fits on the rectangular print bed better.

Not sure, and it has that weird little cable-toggle on it that seams like it was important to the design for some reason.
View attachment 837466
looks like a two sided seal installer with a pull handle to yank on to remove the tool once you have finished driving the seal home. Im assuming the cap on the cable can be slide thru to the opposite side... so can be yanked out of the seal area no matter what side was used .

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like a two sided seal installer with a pull handle to yank on to remove the tool once you have finished driving the seal home. Im assuming the cap on the cable can be slide thru to the opposite side... so can be yanked out of the seal area no matter what side was used .
Maybe, but I don't think that's a slam-dunk explanation. Why not just make the tool longer so that it could be removed without the toggle? Paying a worker for several minutes of work to assemble that crimped cable (plus the second machined piece of the toggle) costs more than the extra few dollars of plastic material.

(General principle in mechanical engineering is that reducing part count is key to reducing the cost of the overall design, because setting up to create more components is costly and assembly costs are worse.)

Mad Deranger

Oh! So THAT'S what was up Drill Sargent's A**! ;)

The bevel makes me think it is to drive a seal backwards. Why take off so much bearing surface?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks