• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

#3 The smoker, MEP 005A

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well while I was waiting on parts for #2, I thought I would just tinker with #3 (mep 005A on a ROWPU, thanks 98G) and see if I could unstick a motor that wouldnt turn with a very long breaker bar. Well since it was a no go on turning over, I opened the valve cover and found 2 valves stuck, so they got smacked with a soft faced hammered and that freed them up. Still no go on rolling over. Pulled the muffler and manifold, what a mess of carbon build up

IMG_1006[1].jpg
Pulled the injectors and borescoped the cylinders, wow, they valves were stuck from all the carbon.

1 gallon of Marvel Mystery Oil later, a day sitting with the cylinders full, I finally got it to move a fraction and then a fraction more, about a thousand fractions and it was loose.

When it would finally roll over this is what blew out of the cylinders from the injector port, I failed to get a photo of all the crap that came out the exhaust. That is just a piece of cardboard.
IMG_1004[1].jpg

So it all got put back together, fuel system flushed and primed up. Was going to just roll the motor over with the starter to see if I had compression and it acted like it wanted to start, so we started her up, here is a link to the video.

https://youtu.be/eYIebmttjZs

I did not let her run long, had no water and no one to run the camera so I could watch over the ol bitty. So I guess I have another jenny project. Hope that yall dont get bored, but I like to share that they can come back from the dead.

Filled the radiator with water and pressure tested it, it held 12psi for atleast 20 minutes.

I think this girl will live, so she will get antifreeze after a round of radiator flush.

Guyfang

Staff member
One of the big problems with this type ROWPU, was wet stacking. We saw this a bunch. I got drawn into, (kicking, fighting and screaming) a ROWPU rebuild project here in Germany. It was for the aftermath of the second sand wars in Iraq. The big kahoona in maintenance, a CW5, sent out a call to the states for 10 of the BIG ROWPU's and 25 of the smaller ones like yours. They came from storage in the states, and storage in germany. Most were just scrap. I repaired just the gen sets. It was enough to keep me jumping a while. The 30 KW gen set you have is a good, steady, and reliable set.

A forewarning, the white engine will leak at front and rear main seal. Most of the engines have been rebuilt a number of times. The crankshafts are worn just a tad. So if you have the problem, and you have replaced the seals with the standard gasket kit, and it leaks. And that bothers you, you will need to get the next smaller seals. The engine removal is easy. There is, if you got everything that's suposed to come with the set, two big chunks of metal, with big honking bolts in them. They are used to support the main gen, when you pull the engine. How many hours? Do you have the manuals? If not, maybe we can dig some up. I mean for the ROWPU. The gen set books are here in SS. I am soooooooooooooooo jealous! This would be fun!

Guyfang

Staff member
Now if I could just convince my evil twin brother to take my place here...........................................................................

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not too concerned about a bit of oil leaking, now when it gets to the point of coming out faster than going in, its time to fix it.

Working on getting overspeed switch and associated parts, but will just run it bypassed for now, until I can source parts.

The set shows 3300 hours. I do not have any manuals for the ROWPU. All of the items that are bolted to the machine look complete, all the loose stuff, ie hoses pumps tanks tarps, are all gone. I will hook it up to power to just 'see' if it works.

Guyfang

Staff member
Send a picture of the ROWPU data plate. I might have still the books in my old junk computer. Need to look at the model number and TM number for the ROWPU.

Another point to watch for is the Radiator Louver Thermostat. Its suposed to work automatically. Most dont. You can open and close the louver by hand. The set will over heat in a heartbeat with the louvers closed, and the outside ambient temp is even warm. A picture of what I am talking about is: TM 5-6115-465-24P, page 196, item 53 is the manual control handle. When running the set, and the louvers do not open up in the first 5-6 minutes, reach in on the front, left side, and open it by hand. If everything is there that's suposed to be there, there should be a short piece of cord and a hook. Its to keep the louver open. There is a thermostat, (item 56) inside the housing, (item 65) that opens and closes the louvers with a arm, (item 37). We mostly just manually opened them up, and left them that way.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, until I get the over speed switch and the adapter found, the 'The Smoker' gets put back on the down line. But it did get the radiator flushed and antifreeze put in, so it will be ready when I get parts.

Now we cant have an empty shop, so we spent the afternoon at a buddy's place picking up the new to me isuzu motor for the 15kw, and got them put in the shop.

IMG_1019[1].jpgIMG_1020[1].jpg

This is why it needs a motor
Screenshot_5.jpg

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Thats a nice motor, Isuzu is normally very dependable. The gen set is very nicely set up.

Oh, 4.2 KW in the backround? You got a commo track! Or just use it to jump stuff off?

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, very observant on the 4.2. No commo track, its a fdc track for the artillery, haha. They make perfect jump starters, if the batteries are dead, then it works as the charger. I just hope there is enogh juice to start the 4.2, i dont like pulling on the rope

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
There is a trick. If the 4.2 has stood a while. Look down at the carb. Brass screw in the middle. Take it out. Turns out its a screw, with a long rod on the bottom. Pour gas into the hole. It fills up the bowl in the carb, and you don't have to pull it ten times to fill up the carb fuel bowl. Does it have solid state? Or Points?

You got a M-577?

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I had a 577, need a M970 first, then a M983, then a 577.

Dont know if it is points or solid state, it starts and runs better than a singer sewing machine, with batteries if it cold, if its warm, its 1 pull on the rope.

I have been busy this week on the broke block 15kw, it has a motor with no hole in the block now.

https://youtu.be/V7P9l-eEso8

Needs some tinkering and load testing tomorrow, then the top will get put back on, and I will call that one finished.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got all the stars and moons to align to get to finally load test The Smoker. I guess there was a birds nest in the muffler because I did look down the pipe and didnt see anything.
She needs some more work done.... a hertz gauge and an amps gauge before I really just let her sit there and hummm at 110% for a few hours.
The load being applied was about 80% so 21kw... maybe 24kw, I dont remember exactly which switches were thrown on the load tester.

https://youtu.be/1MzN9LDuG5w

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks