• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3053 light truck application.

Dust

Hi, new guy here looking for 3053A information. I’ve been doing a bunch of reading but my application is different though I'm sure I'm not the first.
I’m building a 1975 F250 4x4 it currently sits on 37” tires and is actually close to stock except the 429. In its new incarnation I will be bolting the 3053 behind a moderately high horsepower 466-inch big block. The gearbox was gone through by Boyce.
I have most of the parts and a few things I still need to buy or build so my first question is about the shifter boot to seal the top of the transmission, I need to find one; Source?
Considering that I will be capable of spinning this gearbox easily three times faster then any deuce ever would are there any precautions oiling modifications, type of oil (I plan on Amsoil?), etc. I’d also like to find a copy of the manual for this gearbox eventually.

Thanks for any input, and to jesusgatos for pointing me here.
Chris aka Dust

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The trans is supposed to get 30wt oil according to Spicer. Many have reported easier shifting after swapping out the G.O. I might have a spare boot, I'll look tomorrow.

jwaller

some of the late trans's had 2nd gear drilled for better oiling. might want to consider doing this to yours.
also there is a member here that makes a new 5th gear for them, not really needed in your case but the benefit for you would be the addition of needle bearings on 2nd and 5th gear. this you will defiantly need for your new RPM consideration.

.69 overdrive for M-35 and variants

Dust

Thanks for the reply's!:beer:
So, I need to find a picture of the 2nd gear oil hole (I own a machine shop so punching it is no problem).
Need to learn about the possibility of getting needle bearing gear(s) which makes sense. I don't think the change in the OD ratio would be any benefit in this application.

More to learn!

spicergear

Look up M35Tom and click on the link in his signature line. He knows about as much as Dana/Spicer on the 3053 transmissions.

I ran one for YEARS in BBC powered and Rockwelled M715 and the new owner is still running her around. Those transmissions had actually been used at the Bonneville Salt Flats back in the day too. The NV4500's weren't out yet and the aluminum case ones couldn't handle the power. Surprising as these technically are only rated for 300ftlbs...but will handle 600ftlbs well.

jwaller

Thanks for the reply's!:beer:
So, I need to find a picture of the 2nd gear oil hole (I own a machine shop so punching it is no problem).
Need to learn about the possibility of getting needle bearing gear(s) which makes sense. I don't think the change in the OD ratio would be any benefit in this application.

More to learn!
yup just click the link I provided in my last post and you will see all the nice new parts available for this trans.

and as I said I don't think you need the overdrive but thats the only way your going to get the needle bearing setup.

Dust

Look up M35Tom and click on the link in his signature line. He knows about as much as Dana/Spicer on the 3053 transmissions.

I ran one for YEARS in BBC powered and Rockwelled M715 and the new owner is still running her around. Those transmissions had actually been used at the Bonneville Salt Flats back in the day too. The NV4500's weren't out yet and the aluminum case ones couldn't handle the power. Surprising as these technically are only rated for 300ftlbs...but will handle 600ftlbs well.
When I started down this path the NV4500 were failing behind the Cummins and in anything heavier then a jeep. The ZF was no better and they all were stupid high priced. I drove a 3053 and decided I could live with the quirks. I then started waiting for the current 429 to need replacing. Ten years later it is getting close. I'll look up M35Tom. Chris

Dust

yup just click the link I provided in my last post and you will see all the nice new parts available for this trans.

and as I said I don't think you need the overdrive but thats the only way your going to get the needle bearing setup.
I had actually already visited your link before I posted this thread. Nice parts and I can completely understand the application.
In my case I picked the 3053 in part specifically for the OE gear-ratios. I'll likely live without the needle bearings though with some rather minor machine work and a bit of heat treatment I could fully rollerise this gearbox as there looks to be plenty of material. Thank You for the inspiration, though I don't think I'll go that far.

Last edited:

Dust

Going to bump this old thread and ask perhaps a silly question:
If there was one, where do I find a shifter knob that has the shift pattern engraved in it?

Thanks again!
Me

Flyingvan911

The 300 ft-lb rating is surprising. The LDS puts out 425 according to the TM. I think the 3053 in a pick up would be just fine. Definitely used the 30 weight oil since the parts will be turning so fast. It will flow better.

Dust

The 300 ft-lb rating is surprising. The LDS puts out 425 according to the TM. I think the 3053 in a pick up would be just fine. Definitely used the 30 weight oil since the parts will be turning so fast. It will flow better.

Everyone I have spoken to says the gearbox should be fine as long as I do not over rev 5th.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks