• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 man cargo cover bows dimensions?

Gear Report

Planning to make a set of 4-man cargo cover bows. Anyone with the rear cargo cover willing to take a few measurements please? I've marked them on the attached diagram.

-Height
-width to center peak
-total width
-length of center spreader bar
HMMWV_4man_cargo_cover_hardware_measurements.jpg
THANKS!

daniel.7575

I'm away from home till next Monday and I'm sure someone will give you the details but if not will send you the measurements then, I made a set for mine from an original which I still have, you require 2 for the set up and each has several turn clips which the tarp attaches to.. Must be easier to buy a set over there?

Gear Report

I'm away from home till next Monday and I'm sure someone will give you the details but if not will send you the measurements then, I made a set for mine from an original which I still have, you require 2 for the set up and each has several turn clips which the tarp attaches to.. Must be easier to buy a set over there?
Thanks. I already have the turn-buckles and rivets. If they were smaller and less costly to ship I may just buy a set. Shipping makes the a fair amount more than I care to pay.

daniel.7575

Sorry for the delay, still not made it home yet! Will send dimensions when I do..
i have noticed that the front and rear bows are different, this I did not realise and I made two rear bows that don't have the apex included.. I'm sure a guesstimation would suffice.. Also the legs of the bows have a slight bend at the base about 4" up from memory..

Attachments

Gear Report

Sorry for the delay, still not made it home yet! Will send dimensions when I do..
i have noticed that the front and rear bows are different, this I did not realise and I made two rear bows that don't have the apex included.. I'm sure a guesstimation would suffice.. Also the legs of the bows have a slight bend at the base about 4" up from memory..
Thanks!
Looking forward to the dimensions.
I finished the rest of the conversion and am THRILLED with how it turned out. Can't wait to getting the aft area covered to give even more flexibility in how the space is used.
IMG_20170409_131811559.jpg

ryanruck

I'm going to beat Daniel to the punch because I just took my tops off the truck yesterday with the warm weather finally here to stay.

My cargo cover kit is the newest style GMA top. The older styles may differ.

Near as I can tell both of my bows are the exact same with no real pronounced apex at the center. There may be a very slight one but if you omit it, I don't think it would matter.

All tubing is 1" OD.

Spreader bar:
Length is 49.5" end to end
Curls on ends add another 1" to each end
Flattened section of each is 2" total length

Bows:
138.75" end to end
32.75" from bottom end to top of cross bar
79" total width from outside of uprights at top
83.5" total width from outside of uprights at bottom
26.25" from bottom end to where hold down strap is mounted and top corner begins
2.5" from end to corner of slight inward angle
0.5" from end for mounting hole

If you need any other measurements or pictures, let me know. They are all easily accessible.

Last edited:

Gear Report

I find that mine leaks water from the Velcro seal when it rains and thought this may be due to there being no 'apex' to the front frame.. ?
Good to know.
However, as a proud graduate of Apex Senior High School, there was never any chance that I would leave the Apex out of either bow. :)

ryanruck

79" wide brackets? I dont have these, but isnt the body anout 84" wide?
You know what? Good call...

I didn't realize these bows tapered in toward the top, where I had taken the measurement last night.

Measured at the bottom:

IMG_3352.jpg IMG_3353.jpg

Measured at the top:

IMG_3354.jpg IMG_3356.jpg

I'll go back and edit my post from yesterday.

ryanruck

I find that mine leaks water from the Velcro seal when it rains and thought this may be due to there being no 'apex' to the front frame.. ?
Yep, that's where I get the most leaks from mine.

Now that I've got the top off, I'm planning on putting some adhesive weather stripping behind the Velcro (towards the rear of the top) to hopefully channel any water sneaking under from the cargo cover, off the sides.

Gear Report

DLJIII

I just took mine off today and didnt see your question until now. A day late and a dollar short, sorry.
The bows are one inch tubing, easy enough to bend by hand. Add heat or find a fence post and start pulling.
For better results fill with sand it helps to avoid crimping and deformation.
The brackets mounted right on the edge of the body in my truck and I believe the bows gently leaned inward.
Maybe 3 or 4 inches overall from the bracket to the bend point.
FYI my bows, brackets, bolts and cover will be going up for sale tomorrow on ebay.
Keep your eyes peeled if interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks