• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 ways activate electric trailer brakes

sarge62

I have an m1008 that I removed the military plug and installed the 7 round civilian plug. When I use the 4 way flashers the electric trailer brakes activate. I would really like to be able t use the 4 ways when climbing hills and this truck has a hard enough time climbing with a load at altitude without the trailer brakes comming on. Does anyone know of a diagram or a solution?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most newer controlers have the diode built in. but you should be able to put one in the wire from the controler to brake light switch to solve the problem . Unless there is a issue in how he converted the mil plug to civy . The easist test would be to unhook the wire to the brake light switch and see if the prolem persists , if it does the problem is in the plug conversion or trailer wiring .

Last edited:

sarge62

It is hooked up at the brake light switch. I will disconnect it and see if the problem persists. I am currently driving across the country and getting ready to go over the Eisenhower pass/tunnel. If nothing else I will turn the 4 ways on in the car that is on the trailer and finish this when i get back.

I disconnected the 6 pin flat on the truck frame and with the brakes on there are 2 wires that have 12v. One yellow and one green(?). They are the second ones in on each side of this flat 6 pin frame mounted weather pack connector.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine did the same thing. I had an extra toggle switch with me, so I put it between the brake light input to the controller. Now, on a hill, I reach down and turn it off if I need the 4 ways.

A diode is the correct fix.

aaron379

To bad you don't have a third brake light.... you could hook it up to that.... the 4 ways are the bright side of the bulb as are the brake lights so its back feeding in to your controller so you could put a toggle on later but for now I wouldn't use your flashers

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what the specs are for that one.

Honestly, I'd just order one from the link I put up. I have placed several orders with them and I am always impressed with their rapid delivery and low prices.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks