• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

45Yrs Underground

RangerBob

In the area of curiosities, I have just recovered this device from where the USAF entombed it in 1969. I'll let a few folks guess as to what it is before I spill the beans. For scaling, it's about 10ft long, 8-12in in diameter, and maybe 400lbs. I have named it 'Jed'. Next week I will try to recover Jethro and Elly May.

1410978565270_2014091795102713.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember this in the Military Radios and Other Electronics.

It is a Underground Nuclear Weapons Explosion detector

DrillerSurplus

I vote for the seismic device=maybe some sort of extensometer. The 3 winged centralizer at the top & bottom have a surface designed to grip on something and look like they can move in & out of center section- maybe to connect with the inside of a hole drilled into rock. The drilling company I worked for installed a bunch of instrumentation in 800' deep holes for a project that went from San Diego up into Canada. However, they were cemented in, not removable like this device appears to be.

Jeepsinker

Well a nuclear explosion detector would be a seismic sensor so..... I'm thinking this is what they buried to let people in bunkers know that everything topside is now gone.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacement metal to be used 50 years later for driveshafts to replace those that were bent and broken by GL. Man our military can plan ahead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks