• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

46" Tires Performance

Bacon4x

Ok I know this is a popular topic with lots of posts and I have read through many of them but I still have a few questions so don't spaz out. I would like to gather some opinions in one post before I invest in some 46inchers.

I use my deuce for hauling fairly heavy loads on and offroad. The highway ride is quite bouncy up around 50 mph. Will the 46inchers smooth this out when the truck is empty? Or will it still bounce because its mostly suspension related? Anyone running larger tires and loading your deuce down like to weigh in?

Another thing if your hauling some weight how much accelaration loss do you notice by stepping up to larger tires? Obviously the cruising speed is increased but, and I don't mind taking a bit longer to get up to speed, I worry about turning her into a total dog with the taller tires.

Finally, I would like to have the correct backspacing so the singles are not hiding under the bed. I think that looks goofy. How much does it comprimise weight capacity with spacers, or hubs flipped, or more backspacing, you get the point.

Opinions would be appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have had the 395s in use for about a year. I have not noticed any performance difference with an empty truck. I hauled 72 hemtt rims home in the back and it still didn't have trouble, but I DO have the LDS motor. The best thing about the tires is the extra road speed. I don't believe they make much difference off road. I have been on trails at Haspin and the Ga rally and trucks with 900r20s did just as well. When I put my tires on, I installed new axle seals and went through the brakes AND adjusted them. I can stop very well, even with a load. If you need more info, I can PM my cell number.

mikew

I run Goodyear G177's on my bobbed M35A2, they're about 45".

I've noticed some loss of acceleration but the bigger effect is on braking, you need to give yourself a little more distance than normal especially with a load.

Everyone is excited about the additional speed the bigger tires give you, but be aware the Michelin tires are rated for 56 MPH max! The Goodyears I use are rated at 68 MPH max.

I've got the Michelin and Goodyear data sheets on my website, XM381 in the "Manuals" section under "Misc".

mikew

I've noticed some loss of acceleration but the bigger effect is on braking, you need to give yourself a little more distance than normal especially with a load.

Everyone is excited about the additional speed the bigger tires give you, but be aware the Michelin tires are rated for 56 MPH max! The Goodyears I use are rated at 68 MPH max.

I've got the Michelin and Goodyear data sheets on my website, XM381 in the "Manuals" section under "Misc".

Haggar

Are you running 11x20s? Any pics of them, I've been curious to see how 11x20s look singled out...

mikew

Here's a picture of a bobbed deuce with 11.00R20 Goodyear G177's.

The G177's are designed for 7" to 8" wheels, so the standard deuce rims are the correct size.

All that being said, I do think the Michelin's look better.... more aggressive.

Attachments

my69camaro

I have 395's 46in.... As far as I'm concerned my truck still stops great. It is a little rougher on the road but I still need to play with pressures. I don't like the fact that I can't turn right very sharp (on stock rims). And going up hills kill me now, but I haven't adjusted the fuel yet. Seems about the same performance wise on flats.

dmetalmiki

mine on 1200's

well I run military 1200's as seen..NO difference on power..in fact pulls better with no "hunting"at criuse..wich is now 1700 rpms's and 55 mph. which is enough for an old truck as steady does it over long distances. hills it STORMS up better than it ever did before. on load a bit longer to get to cruise but..who cares at 12-mpg! steering much better (lock to lock) and lighter. also everyone think says it looks well on the "stance" and more? agressive, I flipped the rears and widened the front stance so the wheels all track in line.. (ah-la_ zill!) <p.s.> the wheels are on adaptor plates to use A.E.C. militant wheels.

Attachments

deuceman51

Just finished building a deuce for a powerline company and they put the 395s on it with the custom hemtt rims. Looks really cool, but the truck is now doggy as heck. I couldn't hardly get out of 4th gear driving around where I live. I wasn't impressed. Bigger tires=a lot more mass to try and get turning and up to speed. If you plan on offroading or driving in low range around hauling, they would probably do just fine. They also were worse at riding(needed to play with TP) and the truck seemed to wander all over the road(it drove fine before and toe in was good).

ivbeenrokd

I love mine. Power on flat isn't effected too much, hills have slowed down some. I feel like I don't end up running it at high rpms and I think that's a big plus. It does ride a little rougher, but I do think I'm going to lower my pressure a little more. I do also intend to install an EGT sensor and turn up the fuel a little.

Either way, I'm really pleased.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I thought Crusher was going to post some pics in a new thread. We broke down some of each style and he lined them up and took pics. Mlvw, A3, and stock. Wonder when he will post up.

SasquatchSanta

Here's a picture of a bobbed deuce with 11.00R20 Goodyear G177's.

The G177's are designed for 7" to 8" wheels, so the standard deuce rims are the correct size.

All that being said, I do think the Michelin's look better.... more aggressive.
I've ran 1400s and I'm currently running 395s. All ego aside, For a stock LDT (non-LDS) deuce I feel the 11:00E20s are the best all around size. They fit on stock wheels without fudging the system and they don't rob power and brake efficiency the way the larger (especially the 1400s) tires do. I also feel the larger tires rob fuel economy.

ranchand

I dont know what these others are talking about. My deuce is way smoother with the 15.5s, stops on a dime and once I get the fuel turned up will be fine power wise. Plus it makes the deuce look badass! Before I couldnt go over 40 without feeling out of control, now it will go 60 comfotably:smile: Oh, and its a thousand percent better in the mud!

Attachments

mikew

According to Michelin's documentation the 395's and 15.5's should be pretty much identical as far as changes in acceleration and braking.

XML 395's have a diameter of 46.7, an overall width of 15.4 and designed for a 10" rim.
XL 15.5's have a diameter of 46.6, an overall width of 15.5 and designed for a 10" rim.

For comparison, here's the 11R20's:

G177 11.00R20's have a diameter of 43.7, an overall width of 11.5 and designed for a 8" rim.

Does anyone know; on HEMTT rims (with flat, bolt on adapter plates), how is the turning radius affected by the Michelin tires? The G177's have the same overall width as the 9.00x20 NDT's so no change in turning.

Haggar

According to Michelin's documentation the 395's and 15.5's should be pretty much identical as far as changes in acceleration and braking.

XML 395's have a diameter of 46.7, an overall width of 15.4 and designed for a 10" rim.
XL 15.5's have a diameter of 46.6, an overall width of 15.5 and designed for a 10" rim.
The 15.5s have a lower speed rating, though, which is kinda worrysome, only 50 mph.

Do the 15.5's have the same bead as the 395s? I nkow some of those tires require a different bead shape no the rim. I know of at least one person near me (Rizzo) running 15.5s on stock rims.

I'm not interested in hot rodding, and we don't have many hills in Michigan, but I'd like to be able to do 55 mph, 60 tops, without redlining.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks