• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

48V electrical systems?

Badfish740

Has anyone ever seen an M880/M890 with a 48V electrical system? This guy is selling an alternator on Ebay that he claims is 48V and fits Dodge D-Series trucks from '72-'80:

72-80 OEM Mopar Dodge D Series Pickup Truck Alternator 3755791-4 05305 48V 100A
alternator.jpg

Just looking up information about the M880/M890 I found that they didn't even have 24V primary electrical systems and instead ran a separate 24V generator in place of the power steering pump, but I can't figure out why else a 48V alternator would have been made for a Dodge truck of this vintage other than a military application. Maybe some kind of special communications truck? I've reached out to the seller to ask for verification-I'm looking for a 48V alternator for use as a generator to charge a 48V battery bank. I could use a 12V alternator with a custom regulator or wire two 24V alternators in series, but this is the easiest option if it's legitimate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator does not have a voltage regulator. The faster you spin it the higher the higher the voltage. There are some youtube videos showing it being used in off-grid applications.

Badfish740

The alternator does not have a voltage regulator. The faster you spin it the higher the higher the voltage. There are some youtube videos showing it being used in off-grid applications.
Aha...got it. That could work, provided I could keep the RPM smooth enough. Is this true of all Dodge D-Series truck alternators? Sorry for the violation!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know much about them but the 72ish-80 dodge units did not have the internal voltage regulator.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military Dodge has 28v generators in addition to the 12v sytem
Those versions had 3 batteries, 1 for the truck & 2 for the 24v radio system
(your typical 12v system has a 14v alternator and the 24v system has a 28v generator.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks