• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4wd switch measurement needed

cruzer747

I am on the road about a hundred miles from home and headed out to the hills for a camping trip. My four-wheel drive indicator switch on top of my np208 is dripping pretty good.... Long story but the switch died and I tried to fix it and I thought the sealant would hold while I wait for a replacement. Now it would be great if I could stop somewhere along the way knowing the thread pitch and size of something I could put in there and just stop the leak.

if anyone has one sitting around they could measure for me I would be extremely grateful!

cucvrus

There should be no pressure in that transfer case. and it should not be full enough that it leaks when the hubs are not engaged. In a pinch use a small rubber ball and duct tape it over the hole. Not sure why the hole is leaking so badly. Sounds like the seal between the transmission and transfer case is leaking back. If that seal fails the transmission will leak and over fill the transfer case, The small rubber ball bandaged over the hole tightly will hold. That needs to be fixed before going further from home. Good Luck. Did you remove the switch yet? Are you sure it is not the vent leaking? That is in the same area on the tail shaft of the transfer case. I seen a few of them just fall out of the case / tail housing. They are just swedged in there to begin with.

cruzer747

There should be no pressure in that transfer case. and it should not be full enough that it leaks when the hubs are not engaged. In a pinch use a small rubber ball and duct tape it over the hole. Not sure why the hole is leaking so badly. Sounds like the seal between the transmission and transfer case is leaking back. If that seal fails the transmission will leak and over fill the transfer case, The small rubber ball bandaged over the hole tightly will hold. That needs to be fixed before going further from home. Good Luck. Did you remove the switch yet? Are you sure it is not the vent leaking? That is in the same area on the tail shaft of the transfer case. I seen a few of them just fall out of the case / tail housing. They are just swedged in there to begin with.
I have never seen a leak until I tried to repair my switch that stopped working (I know it is not a serviceable part but I attempted anyways, cut the crimp and the contacts were way too far gone inside. I just silicone a flat washer on top of the whole so no doubt there's probably a little bit of pressure that builds up. This is a 700 r4 that is pushing 8000 lb.....It was definitely a silly idea to try and repair before I hit the road but a replacement that I ordered was a day late. Anyways I'll see what I can do at the local hardware store here, thank you!

cruzer747

Thank you! I stoped by a home depot and pulled it out, fun times in the sweltering heat dodging the hot exhaust to pull the switch out and go in. Alas they did not have it... got by with jamming a plug in the broken off sensor and using some ultra black on both sides. It was still leaking a touch so when I made camp I took it out again and reapplied and let it dry for a day.

Even though this location is not under pressure or below the liquid line I can assure you it will drip pretty good while driving if open with proper fluid levels.

This will get you the switch.
Thanks, the story of my life here, I had ordered it first thing last monday, was leaving thursday and it didnt arrive until friday.

cruzer747

This will get you the switch.
Not sure why this did not pop up in my quest for switches.

Of course my trip was long enough that the place I ordered my first replacement (#14037986) which is ~$35 and a hard to find part in itself had been sent back asI was not back in town soon enough :/

I then looked up np208 switch on amazon and ordered the cheapest 2 pin I saw which was the white shrouded dorman 600-506. Well, it fit great but worked backwards.

Then I tried the dorman 600-551 which again fit perfect but this worked well and required no modification at all. I would assume the number you mentioned probably would have worked as well.

Just in case I wanted to add the other # to the list of working 4wd switches.

I did a little more research, the difference between 600-504 and 600-551 are that the 504 has male pins and the 551 has female pins AS PER CARQUEST info but on amazon the photos show both of them identical with female pins so :unsure:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks