• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 lights a flashing on CTIS-Interesting

Ronmar

True, but these are occult leaks that might be missed if the hoses aren't separated.
Yep, bubble mix has to have a gap small enough to still be able to maintain a film in order to make a bubble. you might also miss axle seal leaks if you dont also check the axle vents for air with CTIS operation...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Doing a lot of research today. This popped up for the dreaded 5 light O flashing CTIS.
Anything special that a single light flashing on the CTIS panel means? HWY steady blinking... Fully functional. Deflate. Inflate. Sand and Highway. Just messing - with the truck turned off - disconnected the big electrical connection on the HWY side, looked at it, reconnected and the blinking stopped for an hour or so.

Any thoughts or maybe a TM for it on a M1088a1 by chance?

Ronmar

Anything special that a single light flashing on the CTIS panel means? HWY steady blinking... Fully functional. Deflate. Inflate. Sand and Highway. Just messing - with the truck turned off - disconnected the big electrical connection on the HWY side, looked at it, reconnected and the blinking stopped for an hour or so.

Any thoughts or maybe a TM for it on a M1088a1 by chance?
Selected mode blinking means it is working on getting to that selected mode. Select the next lower mode, X-Country and that buttons LED should flash for a bit untill it reaches that rated pressure where it should go steady. Once that happens, re-select Highway Mode and it should do the same thing. If it doesn‘t go steady, you may have something leaking. Air volume leaking increases with pressure so you may be hitting a point where it is venting more air than what is making it to the tires And it cannot reach the set pressure...

Oh, CTIS is basically the same system across platforms other than the communications buss used in the newer trucks, so any A0 manual CTIS troubleshooting section should work for you...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Selected mode blinking means it is working on getting to that selected mode. Select the next lower mode, X-Country and that buttons LED should flash for a bit untill it reaches that rated pressure where it should go steady. Once that happens, re-select Highway Mode and it should do the same thing. If it doesn‘t go steady, you may have something leaking. Air volume leaking increases with pressure so you may be hitting a point where it is venting more air than what is making it to the tires And it cannot reach the set pressure...

Oh, CTIS is basically the same system across platforms other than the communications buss used in the newer trucks, so any A0 manual CTIS troubleshooting section should work for you...
Thank You Ronmar !

She just got here today. CTIS seems to work well, but it is a noisy truck. Have not yet been under it with a spray bottle of soapy water. Engine off, I here nothing but that doesn't mean a lot. It definitely holds air in the tanks for several hours. Will check it in the morning to see how it holds pressure.

I did discover on the back by the pintle hitch that the service gladhand is broken off. No air coming out. It currently has a trailer connected - so there isn't much head room to see between the frame rails. I am guessing there is a valve on the inside that is stopping that leak. Could be an easy fix. Can't quite tell yet.

Ronmar

you can apply 120 PSI air to the front emergency gladhand From a compressor to run CTIS with the engine shutoff, chock the wheels as this also releases the park brake springs.

the rear service gladhand only gets air when you step on the pedal/activate service brakes...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
some info
Thanks for the info spankybear !

Ronmar
, You hit the nail on the head. Found an air Leak. Blinking HWY light is solid now. Switching through the different modes reliably now. No blinks except while changing from one mode to the next.

Next I need to figure out if that bolt sticking out of the tire tread is a problem or just cosmetic. Definitely stuck in the rubber... I may get to learn how to remove and replace a tire with CTIS plumbing on it sooner than I had planned. :-( Figure a little more reading should "learn me up" on how to deal with that. Better to learn now - in my yard - than on the side of the road!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
and........ where was it??
Strangely it was a series of several hoses into a "black box" under the cab in the center of the truck above the engine. Hate to admit I didn't bother figuring out what it was or what it does. Didn't crack open a TM. Attached a hose from house air to the truck and immediately located it. Not sure how or why but one of the plastic air lines was weeping pretty seriously. Wiggled it and it got quiet. Wasn't happy with that as a "fix" so I pushed in on the disconnect and the hose came out. I could actually see a depression in the plastic hose. Pocket knife trimmed it, pushed it back in place, pulled pretty hard on it and I have no more air sound from there. My guess is engine heat and time were the culprit.

Plan is to get my soapy water spray bottle a little later today and see if I find anything else. I will try and get a few pictures this afternoon late.

JD4044M

I have to wear my Shooting Head Phones and turn them up to hear air leaks my hearing is shot. Down Loaded that file on the Air System. One day I want to find the Hard Copies Manuals. CD's are nice , cheap etc but to me books are better to get info out of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks