• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 new M1009 shocks

edpdx

Installed new Bilstein shocks on front and back. Also installed a new KYB on the front linkage. The rear shocks were not hard, just had to learn a few things along the way:newshokday.jpg

Passenger Rear:
Use a wedge to make room for your hand to get at inside rail nut- gently pry the muffler towards driveline. I used a hammer- it just needs to move a little. I found out after sneaking my hand in and scraping it on the way out.
You can look directly up the frame rail through a hole in the channel and get eyes on the nut for wrench placement.

Driver Rear:
I used about a 12" 1/2" extension on a ratcheting breaker bar from HFT. Slide in from under the tailgate so you can get the 15/16" on the nut and give it h3ll. The smaller increments on this breaker are just the ticket for the tight operating space. The lower shock nuts were 7/8" and 15/16" (OR 3/4" and 7/8"- bloods still returning to my brain). I had to go feet first and kick the wrench after lubing it with Kroil.

The Fronts were easier: A socket and box wrench to keep the inside rail nut from spinning. The top and bottom bolt still had a lot of tension, so I took it up with a pry bar (2x4) till I wiggled the bottom bolt out- then the top slips out easily.

In all cases the Bilsteins I had were not locked in the compressed position- having to compress them in tight quarters was a workout. I used an open end wrench to hook into the bottom shock mount, raising and sliding the bottom eye towards the mounting yoke. I recommend a helper or steroids.

Front steering stabilizer from KYB couldn't be easier- 11/16" wrench- I forgot what socket for the end opposite the piston. Don't loosen the castle nut that is locked with wire- there is an 11/16" nut on the back where the shock eye slips over that bolt.

Here's a pic of the shocks and boxes for reference: Bilstein Fronts: 24-009232; Rears: (old p/n F4-B46-0933-H1) new p/n 24-009331
KYB Steering Stabilizer: SS10325

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before anyone asks you might post the part numbers.
I know their listed elsewhere but someone will ask.

I always use Bilstein.
Have been since 1998
Excellent shocks
Close to 10 sets on multiple vehicles and not one single issue.

You will love those!!!!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have one of those slave port impacts.
VERY handy.
Mine is 3/4"
Was brand new and best $100 I probably ever spent.

1/2" ones are pricey and none around when I was buying.

rsh4364

Installed new Bilstein shocks on front and back. Also installed a new KYB on the front linkage. The rear shocks were not hard, just had to learn a few things along the way:View attachment 670725

Passenger Rear:
Use a wedge to make room for your hand to get at inside rail nut- gently pry the muffler towards driveline. I used a hammer- it just needs to move a little. I found out after sneaking my hand in and scraping it on the way out.
You can look directly up the frame rail through a hole in the channel and get eyes on the nut for wrench placement.

Driver Rear:
I used about a 12" 1/2" extension on a ratcheting breaker bar from HFT. Slide in from under the tailgate so you can get the 15/16" on the nut and give it h3ll. The smaller increments on this breaker are just the ticket for the tight operating space. The lower shock nuts were 7/8" and 15/16" (OR 3/4" and 7/8"- bloods still returning to my brain). I had to go feet first and kick the wrench after lubing it with Kroil.

The Fronts were easier: A socket and box wrench to keep the inside rail nut from spinning. The top and bottom bolt still had a lot of tension, so I took it up with a pry bar (2x4) till I wiggled the bottom bolt out- then the top slips out easily.

In all cases the Bilsteins I had were not locked in the compressed position- having to compress them in tight quarters was a workout. I used an open end wrench to hook into the bottom shock mount, raising and sliding the bottom eye towards the mounting yoke. I recommend a helper or steroids.

Front steering stabilizer from KYB couldn't be easier- 11/16" wrench- I forgot what socket for the end opposite the piston. Don't loosen the castle nut that is locked with wire- there is an 11/16" nut on the back where the shock eye slips over that bolt.

Here's a pic of the shocks and boxes for reference: Bilstein Fronts: 24-009232; Rears: (old p/n F4-B46-0933-H1) new p/n 24-009331KYB Steering Stabilizer: SS10325
I am guessing that since you installed the new bilstein shocks last year. My break-in theories don't matter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks