• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton a2 winter fuel

ericp351

Hi all,
My 5ton with the small Cummings starts in the winter but it doesn't start great in the cold. It runs great once it's running. I'm currently using number 2 diesel left over from the summer. Does using winterized number 2 make a difference in starting below 35 degrees Fahrenheit? Thanks for any response.

rbrown225

I would add anti-gel to lower your cloud & gel points. Estimate how much fuel that you have in your tank then treat it with the proper dose. (do NOT use "Power Service Diesel 911" it is for when you are gelled up.) Then drive the truck for a few miles to slosh the treatment in the tank and get it up to the filter & pump

74M35A2

Winter is almost over, I'd just ride it out. Investigation into the anti-gel stuff shows it is mostly alcohol, and it can starve the injection pump of lubrication. Each their own, but I don't use it.

snowtrac nome

the block heater will help it start I have run pour point depressed fuel down to below 0 with good success after 10 below you have to let things warm up so you are returning warm fuel to the tanks or you risk plugging the filter with wax.

ericp351

Thanks guys, next year I will try some anti gel. For block heaters, do you recommend the coolant heater, like the type you may splice into the heater core lines? Thanks again.

74M35A2

For the 8.3L, the most common coolant heater takes the place of a block freeze plug, above the starter. Quick and easy install. But a block heater won't do anything for fuel waxing (that I know of), if that is still your primary concern....

snowtrac nome

use the soft plug heater and 750 watts will do what a 3000 watt tank heater will do. unless you love to spend money with your electric company. either heater will require draining coolant, and tank heaters have to be located properly for convection to happen in order to warm the whole block.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a block heater in my NHC250's when it get below 40 just to help them start. Helps big time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks