• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton hook lift system install

Vintage iron

I bought my truck to use on my farm for general use and for recreation. I have a M813 with a winch and NTC 250. I have been looking for a dump body for my truck and found one on Tenn. But I don't think, a dump body is going to cut it any more. I am thinking of building a Hook lift for my M813.

I am a skilled fabricator and have built custom truck bodies before. I believe I will need to build my own for a few reasons. (1) MV are higher than civilian trucks. (2) I want to incorporate the storage tanks in the frame rail like the military dump bed. (3) since this will be on a off-road truck, the body will need to lock down (4) Hook lift kit go for $15000.

My buddy is an engineer and I will have him design the system on CAD to see what the lift angle will be and to get proper material sizes.

I think a hook lift set up is better, because I will be able to change bodies, I will be able to load material flat on the ground and then load the body, and I can use it for vehicle recovery too. Almost like a wrecker.

Vintage iron

I have seen most of the posts on the HEMTT PLS system and the military use of the multi lift and hook lift. I would use one of those if I could find one at the right price!

I will post up pictures and drawings during the build. I am going to keep it simple and light as possible.

Vintage iron

I believe that it is the MK 18 trailer that has the self loading capacity. I seen a post by Snakehead. I will look into M812 and M945 too. I think these are a little harder to find, but more information is always better. Thanks guys!

exbrown

I believe that it is the MK 18 trailer that has the self loading capacity.
There are 2 versions of the MK-18 trailer:

• MK-18 will load and unload a 20' container.
  • MK-18A1 is like a hook lift system, and can actually swap out beds.
I have the older MK-18, but I would love to get one of the newer A1 models.

Vintage iron

I have found a bunch of MK 18 trailers. They are not the MK 18A1 trailers with the hooklift, but the MK 18 trailers is a amazing too. The ones I found are almost unused. one in FLA and two in Michigan. They are going for around $4500. each. The is a deal considering they have two drive axles, (4) 16.00 R21 tires, a winch, a tilt bed, and a PTO to name some of the pieces.

Vintage iron

Sizing and design of a system is not a big issue. It has been done before. The good news is a found a Knuckle boom cheap. So I will use the knuckle boom to load/unload and have the dump bed for hauling bulk material. It has a 17' reach and 2750lbs at full reach. That should handle most of my loading needs and it folds up nice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks