• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton PTO Question

jimbo*

Are the PTO's the same animal, or are they different between direct drive and overdrive trannys?
I know there are two basic types: dual output(dump) and single output (front winch).

The reason I ask is I have an M51A2 parts truck(dual output), and want to put the PTO in my M813, so I can run a winch front and rear. Will this work?

Thanks,
Jimbo

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front winch driveshafts are not the same length.

Pappa-G

My m818 came with a dual output pto from the military. So I would think you could with enough fabrication. Are you going to drive it (the rear winch)mechanicly or hydraulicly?

Last edited:

jimbo*

Thanks for the answers. My goal is to put a winch on the front of the M813, then remove the bed, and put a winch, fifth wheel, ramps and a rolling tailboard, thus making it a winch tractor.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
jimbo, if i was you with your plan, i would use a xcase pto because this will give you 5 speeds forward and one reverse, this is how the 815 is set up with the mid winch, the xcae pto will give you a lot more control, just a thought
all the parts for the 815 mid winch drive is in the 260 parts TMs

Last edited:

jimbo*

Wow Ron, I forgot about the T/C PTO!! I have my duece winch truck rigged up that way, I don't know what I was thinking. Thanks for waking me up!

I guess the T/C PTO was available on the M815 and the wreckers, correct?
Anybody have a five ton T/C PTO for sale?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
JIM, the 815 uses the standard 5t front winch, this means you could use the level wind and tensioner

to bad you cant find a 815, it has a NICE headack rackwith spare carrier, already has the mid winch, same length as a 813, just pull the bunk off and install the fifth wheel and the rolling tail board

Last edited:

jimbo*

Yeah, I'd love to find an M815.
On the other hand, I have the Tulsa 34 winch off an old Mack oilfield truck with mounting and headache rack, so all I need is to figure out the PTO.
I have the dual output setup, which would work, but would prefer to find a T/C PTO.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Jim, the dual output WONT work, hears why, the rear facing out put ONLY turns in ONE direction, to turn a hyd. pump. the front facing output has high and low in one direction and one speed in the other direction. if you can (don't think so ) mate TWO forward outputs together , then it would work for you. you NEED a t-case pto for this, trying to off load with a winch using just the brake at times is very risky. another thought is to convert the 30 to hyd. drive, the oil field service compeny i worked for had some trucks set up like this, really nice, had dual controls, one set in the cab, second set out side by the winch for ground operation. if you converted to hyd. drive there would be NO NEED for jack shafts, chain, pillow blocks and a dual direction operating pto.

if you stay with direct drive, the Tulsa 30 drives from the right, this is the same side the 815s mid winch drives from, you could use mil. parts from the 260-parts TM. for the drive or at least give you a parts layout idea

are you going to use air for the brake and sliding free-wheel jaw clutch ??

jimbo*

Actually Ron, I was seriously considering going hydraulic on the rear winch; thus the question about the M51A2 PTO. My parts truck is missing the pump, but that's not a big deal. I will be using air controls for the brake and freewheel clutch.

Tha more I think about this plan, I wonder if I souldn't trade up to a M939 series truck, as I can't help but feel I'm trying to put a $400 saddle on a $40 horse.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
809 series would work, be no different then moding a 900, still the same mods. you have a 809, the only really good thing about the 900 for this mod is the air brakes

jimbo*

809 series would work, be no different then moding a 900, still the same mods. you have a 809, the only really good thing about the 900 for this mod is the air brakes
Actually, the winch assy on a M939 is hydraulically powered, so adding another winch into the system would be easy.
Also, the auto trans is a nice option.
I know, I'm talking myself into it, lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks