• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Winch on Deuce?

abh3

Blew up my Duece winch today (see stock Duece posts) and am dissatisfied... :D YES, if the right shear pin had been in it never would've broken BUT it never would've pulled me out either! It seems the stock M35 winches are on the fragile side (aluminum case, brass gear) requiring the soft shearpin to protect it.

I've got a dead M543A2 sitting around, it has a 5 ton winch on the front and a BIG one on the back, any experience out there mounting either on the Duece? Anyone know the capacities of these? I also have an old International with a WAY BIG Tulsa winch behind the cab but that might be overkill, even for me... 8)

Before anyone says I don't need anything bigger, etc., the last scale ticket today was for 30,600lbs gross...

Thanks for your input!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

BEASTMASTER

RE: 5 Ton Winch on Duece?

if you grossed out at 30600 lds with a deuce, when you kill somebody and you have to give everything you own ,and will own to the survivors, then you really will be crying.

rizzo

Re: RE: 5 Ton Winch on Duece?

throw another duece winch on and buy a snatch block. problem solved. (unless you really want to put a bigger winch on for the fun of it)

abh3

Thanks Doghead, looks like it's been done before so time for the tape measure and some thought...

Beastmaster, the data plate says 25,530 lbs w/ 10,000 lbs towed, if my math is right that's 35,530 GCVW. 7 tons of limerock on a Duece dump going 45mph down 6 miles of South Alabama country roads isn't a threat to civilization, it will stop, turn, etc...

Rizzo, well, I've got several snatch blocks but, uh, they were all at the shop stored so they'll be safe and clean!

Yeah, a snatch block and the right shear pin might have done the job but a bigger winch is better in my mind, this one's broken so it needs to be replaced, why not a big one, maybe on hydraulics. I use this thing (forestry and agriculture) and dumps get stuck, tractors get stuck, dozers get stuck, etc...

area52

your M543 should have a 45,000 lb winch on the back and a 20,000 lb winch on the front. I think you would need to upgrade your tires if you put the 20k on the front of a duece.

Good luck and take lots of pictures

abh3

Area52, is the five ton front winch really that much heavier? I looked at it tonight (in the briars by flashlight) and it just doesn't seem that more massive... The 45k winch is overkill, the truck wouldn't need that muchl and doesn't have the frame for tying off to immoveable objects for pulling other vehicles. Now if the frame were boxed, hmmmmm....

Gimpyrobb, I need the PTO for the dump body pump, it's one of the harder to find 'front and rear' PTOs. The M51 body pump is moved over to the left side where the PTO shaft has a relatively straight shot at it.

In fact, the dump body pump may be able to run a winch motor though system capacity and heat may be an issue...

area52

Do you have the 9.00 x 20 NDT's? I think you would be pushing the weight limit on those with a 5 ton winch. Not sure on the exact weight difference but I would play it safe.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
abh3 said:
In fact, the dump body pump may be able to run a winch motor though system capacity and heat may be an issue...
I've converted several winches over to hyd. drive. Your dump pump will run it but it may be slow (depends on the GPM). Heat woun't be a problem unless you run it for a long time under heavy load or very high speeds. The main problem with going hyd. is finding a motor big enough to run it. They can be had but they're pricey unless you can find one on a old piece of equipment.

Hyd is really the easiest way to go if you're trying to mount something non-standard. There is a reason the truck in the pic has the winch mounted up side down. The drive is on the passenger side on a 5-ton winch. I would worry about worm gear and bearing lubrication with it mounted like that.

If you decide to go hyd. let me know. As I said, I've done several and know how to size your motor and line speed for different applications.

54reo

Re: 5 Ton Winch on Duece?

abh3 said:
Blew up my Duece winch today (see stock Duece posts) and am dissatisfied... :D YES, if the right shear pin had been in it never would've broken BUT it never would've pulled me out either! It seems the stock M35 winches are on the fragile side (aluminum case, brass gear) requiring the soft shearpin to protect it.
The wrecker stuff is aluminum cased with brass gears too.

In my humble opinion...

carrying around a snatch block or two would be a much easier solution, opposed to engineering a 5 ton winch on the front.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: 5 Ton Winch on Duece?

No one particular winch is the answer, 100% of the time. Any winch will be a compromise, and most importantly, no winch is "Fool Proof"! Your original stock winch, with a couple of snatch blocks & chains...... Well, you know the story. A bigger winch is just going to find the next "weak-spot" in a row, IF you can find something to tie it to.

Lee in Alaska

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Drivelines on these winches can be swapped in most cases

Rattlehead

I believe Bjorn once mentioned that a deuce with winch is already putting the front axle load at its max rating. The 5 ton winches stick out a lot farther and are heavier, which would make it worse, especially at your loadings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks