• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Tons under a deuce

USMC6062

Has anyone ever put 5 ton axles under a deuce? I plan on bobbing my deuce here pretty soon, and I already have some 16R20's that are going on it. I think those tires will put a strain on stock 2.5 tons once I start bogging it and playing with it off road. I would like to swap the axles for 5 tons in the future, but was wondering what all is involved, and no I don't want to just buy a 5 ton and bob it. I like the deuce for it's size and weight, and don't want to step up to a whole other truck just for the axles.

well drive shafts modified,
flip the axle around and also flip knuckles to make the steering arm be in front (stock) and have a passenger side drop. Stock 5 ton is driver side drop.
i would add a 1-2" height to the spring perch and weld them on solid to the axle due to the chunk size. (remember the perches have caster built into them, they aint flat)

Other things like the steering arms, and brake lines will also need to be addressed.

M1075

You probably won't have enough horsepower to hurt the axles with the big tires. Search the forums for the threads by Jones on the Baby Hemtt. He has swapped in 5 ton axles under a deuce frame, with a HEMTT cab.

USMC6062

RE: Re: RE: 5 Tons under a deuce

Probably not, but I guess part of it is the "my axles are bigger than yours" factor. A bunch of people here in Florida have moved up to 5 ton axles in their mud trucks after breaking 2.5 tons. I doubt I would break them, but I like stuff that is over kill also.

CGarbee

FWIW: If you don't already have a set of five ton axles for you conversion, I've got a set that are leftover from a truck I recently cut up that I could make you a deal on... Shipping down to FL wouldn't be that bad as they could be hauled down to the Clinto SS Rally in GA and either picked up or relayed from there...

Jones

I suggest doing your homework BEFORE starting your conversion. Frame widths are a standard 34" but with tape measure and clip board in hand, take LOTS and LOTS of measurements. Check little details like which side your t-case drive flanges are on in relation to the input flanges on the axles. Seems some are on opposite sides and that can certainly throw a kink into driveline alignment. Time for 5 ton t-case too?
When I put 5 ton axles under the baby HEMTT I used everything; perches, springs, axles from the 5 ton to accomodate the extra cab weight in the front and the crane weight in the rear.
You may need to make new plates to go between spring and axle to keep the correct driveline angle. If you keep the deuce springs for a smoother(?) ride, the new custom intermediate plates will assure the adaption.
If you're going to 4X4 then just repeat the process for the rear.
If you're gonna keep it 6X6 then make sure of the rear axle to rear axle center dimension. The 1600R20s are 52" dia. so you need about 55" center to center (half of 52" plus half of 52" plus 3" clearance) to make sure you don't get anything jammed between the tires. I know, I know; the treads go the opposite directions at their closest point-- self-cleaning, blah, blah, blah-- but trust me, if it's humanly possible to get a rock or tree limb caught in there it'll be when you're; a. four states away from home, b. about as far as you can get from a paved road and help, c. just when you're trying to impress your sweetie and/or friends.
Worst case; you have to change out the entire rear bogie set-up which can be enough of a pain to make you swear off anything but dead stock from here on out.
After these cheery words of encouragement the only thing left to say is; good luck and happy wrenching.

P.S. I have the number for MilVehAnon on speed dial if you need it.

russ81

Jones,

I love the looks of your "Baby HEMTT". Do you have an automatic transmission or a standard transmission in it?
I was watching your build-up, and I believe I remember you putting a Cummins 5.9 in it. Is that right? What I'm looking for here is I'm putting a 5.9 in my deuce, and want to keep the 5spd, but i need part numbers to get them bolted together properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

drthunder33

Those guys in florida are breaking 2.5 ton parts due to 700+ hp, high rpms and a lil tire called RICE AND CANE. Much more bite than any mil tire. Some of those psychos are starting to break 5ton parts. IMO unless your project is shaping up like the florida boys and you plan on leaving the ground from time to time I think the 2.5 tons will serve you well. That's the combo I have on my bogger (16.00r20 mich xls and 2.5ton rocks).

Just my opinion but 5 tons are really freakin' cool though.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 tons are going to add a lot more weight, if you are worried about breaking shafts just call Randy at OEM and get some of his aftermarket stock replacements. If you think you are going to break those (which I doubt you will) you can always jump up to the 2" shafts :) . I run those with 57" Rice & Canes on my mud truck and over 700 horse and can't even twist a spline, they are virtually unbreakable.

55Cameo

I run the 53" xzl's on my bobbed Deuce with 8" of lift and a moly locker in the rear from Randy. I still have the stock multifuel in it and haven't had any problems with anything breaking. I put it through some serious test in the mud with no problems. All of the shafts are 100% stock. I don't think that the multi has enough power to break anything even with the 53's. I did put full hydro on it though so you can turn it easily. If I do end up breaking something, I'll let you know. I am taking it to Puddin' Creek this Sunday in Perry to play in the mud. Oh, and they are still the 2 1/2 tons. Allan.

USMC6062

Sorry I didn't chime back in earlier, but I couldn't get on this website for some reason. If I decide to do this, I will buy a junker 5 ton off GL, bring the truck home, cut the axles out, and scrap the rest to recoupe my money. I should be able to end up with a free set of axles this way. As far as tires go, I know that XZL's won't get enough bite to break my axles with the Multifuel, but I would like to eventually get a set of rice and canes around 53" tall. I want basically an indistructable 4x4 tractor of a truck when I get done. I've seen rice and canes get enough bite to allow a diesel truck to pull the front tires off the ground slowly pulling someone out. That I know put's one heck of a strain on drivetrain parts. It's all a thought right now, but it might become reality in the future.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
for a NON mudder , what about rice & canes that makes then so great

USMC6062

There are several different styles of tractor tires, but the two main ones used in mudding are R1's and R2's. R1's are your standard V tread tractor tires with cleats around an 1"-1.5" tall. R2's (Rice and Canes) got there name from being used in rice and cane fields, which are super soft mud pies. They are V treads also, but have cleats that can be 4"-5" tall depending on the size tire and who makes it. When you see one in person, you'll see how they would break things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks