• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

503 error

cyclic

I'm getting a 503 error when I try to acces the forum from my home computer. I'm stuck trying to access it with my phone, any one able to help me?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E503.html

The place we have our website hosted at sucks. Their equipment is crap.
Actually 503 is the security software blocking it. So cyclic has either done something or his IP has been marked by stopforumspam as a spammer IP. If everyone was seeing 404,503, exc, then it'd be a site issue. The reason for the 503 error is to block some of the bad people out there. If they start seeing 503, they'll think the site is down or not working.

I looked at your account and saw that you only used 5 IP addresses to view the site so I was able to figure out the banned IP. It looks like your IP was banned because of a bad query with a ? mark in it. I had already updated the security file to exclude these queries from scan, but it looks like your IP was banned back at the end of Sept. You should be fine now though.

And I will agree, the hosting company has often been sub par with this new virtualized server. I have Chris talking to another hosting company. But that's not my $$$ decision. Our stumbling block for most webhosting companies is the volume of data. (70Gb of attachments, 15Gb of database)

But I will say the security software might give some of you a false positive. After a lot of sleepless nights, I had to do something drastic due to the ongoing hacking attempts. Yes it bans people unfairly at times. But I'd rather deal with unbanning someone than some of these script kiddies and foreign hacker groups.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The solution is simply sending a message to the administration and the robots at the top, that never sleep, fix it.

It happened to me when I tried to load a pile of pictures, maybe loaded 11 instead of 10, maybe hit 'submit reply' and 'manage attachments' at the same time, or the shaw bots took me down, not sure. It happens to safe networks and honest computer users too so I was patient and things got fixed. Thanks Patracy.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I sleep sometimes. Heck this morning I slept until 7:30am!

I think I'm going to bed tonight in a few hours though. I wanna try to get up at 4am and try to get a half marathon in before church.

jasonjc

I had a lot of those issues too. I found it was Hughs net, they use what they call turbo pages and the turbo pages severs where the ones blocked. When I found this out I jumped all over hughs net over it. Now I know how to turn off the turbo pages.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe my continuing problem on my home computer is related to the 503. I get "connection was reset". Nothing said about 503 though. I can sometimes keep re-selecting the thread after the "connection was reset" comes up and loading will be successful. This does get old after 10 to 20 clicks sometimes, on each of the threads I want to read. Funny thing is sometimes the page comes up and I start reading then the "connection was reset" wipes the page.

My wife's smart phone works fine, too.

Admin, do I have some mark against my IP like Cyclic had?

Thanks for any assist.

Bob

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe my continuing problem on my home computer is related to the 503. I get "connection was reset". Nothing said about 503 though. I can sometimes keep re-selecting the thread after the "connection was reset" comes up and loading will be successful. This does get old after 10 to 20 clicks sometimes, on each of the threads I want to read. Funny thing is sometimes the page comes up and I start reading then the "connection was reset" wipes the page.

My wife's smart phone works fine, too.

Admin, do I have some mark against my IP like Cyclic had?

Thanks for any assist.

Bob
Is your Wife's phone on the same network or using the mobile data network? Please email support@steelsoldiers.com with your web facing ip adress. If you don't know it, please visit www.whatismyip.com

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy my home computer is getting the error 503 message. Can you check if my IP is blocked? Thanks
FYI, My home computer has been mostly unusable on SS (and only SS) for several months. Same computer works fine on the remainder of the web. An SS page will sometimes load if I refresh it ad nauseum, sometimes 8 to 10 times. Sometimes (rarely) pages load first time. Sent in IP address as requested and and no problem found.

I can access SS perfectly with my wife's smart phone.

Camoyj7, if you resolve your issues, let me know what you did, please?

Thanks,

Bob

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
FYI, My home computer has been mostly unusable on SS (and only SS) for several months. Same computer works fine on the remainder of the web. An SS page will sometimes load if I refresh it ad nauseum, sometimes 8 to 10 times. Sometimes (rarely) pages load first time. Sent in IP address as requested and and no problem found.

I can access SS perfectly with my wife's smart phone.

Camoyj7, if you resolve your issues, let me know what you did, please?

Thanks,

Bob
He sent me his IP address, it was blocked, I've removed that one. As mentioned on yours, I didn't see the one you gave me. But I think you had a cellular hot spot? I'd like to see what happens if you take your wife's smart phone and disable the cell connection and turn on wifi and use the same internet connection as your PC. If it works fine, then the issue is not with the security system on the website or your connection. But it'd be something with your PC directly. I looked at your profile to see if I could possibly find a blocked IP. Until I realized you have over 500 IP addresses here on file.

We did have a DNS change after the time we spoke about your issue. Have you tried flushing DNS on your computer and router? Also, you don't have any security software on your computer? Or anything in the host file for steelsoldiers.com right?

sweetk30

havin trouble at work . NO NOT company type locked down computer . just a basic oll off he shelf unit .

keeps saying error 503 . but the guys in the shop can use there smart phones and also I can log in ever time at my house computer.

sucks as at work I need to resurch the new m936a2 we just got for parts we need and I cant .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
havin trouble at work . NO NOT company type locked down computer . just a basic oll off he shelf unit .

keeps saying error 503 . but the guys in the shop can use there smart phones and also I can log in ever time at my house computer.

sucks as at work I need to resurch the new m936a2 we just got for parts we need and I cant .
Which would happen since the cell phones aren't on the same network. Please see post 10 and 13.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks