• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton to m35 power steering upgrade

HN6

Got parts home this weekend for power steering. Power steering pump, steering box and arms off a 5ton. See what happens. I currently have a homemade power assist on my truck from previous owner with a gmc power steering belt pump ( not hooked up). I am not sure what the plan was or why it didn't work but I guess I can incorporate it into mine as well.

Attachments

HN6

Well, this set up is not going to work. I am sure a few folks already knew that. The steering box is way to wide for full hard over turn.

davidb56

Dont give up...the pump is one of the components. do a research on the steering boxes as there is a GM box that is a replacement for it. You have to build or buy the support bracket for it and a pitman arm? also. Since you have probably half the parts needed now, it just a matter of getting the rest.

davidb56

GMC metric version of the 710 steering box used on older IH trucks. Waterloo industries sells the kit and individual parts. Things you don't need is a 18 inch steering wheel. BFD 2 inches smaller. I can suck my gut in 2 inches to save 200$. Im sure you can rework the steering column also and ad a steering U joint to keep the original one, which would save you some more$$$. You can fabricate the box bracket too, if you got the equipment to cut and weld. the fluid resevior can be had at a truck wrecking yard. the hydraulic hoses can be bought from Surplus Center for about 40$.

Last edited:

HN6

GMC metric version of the 710 steering box used on older IH trucks. Waterloo industries sells the kit and individual parts. Things you don't need is a 18 inch steering wheel. BFD 2 inches smaller. I can suck my gut in 2 inches to save 200$. Im sure you can rework the steering column also and ad a steering U joint to keep the original one, which would save you some more$$$. You can fabricate the box bracket too, if you got the equipment to cut and weld. the fluid resevior can be had at a truck wrecking yard. the hydraulic hoses can be bought from Surplus Center for about 40$.
Thanks for the support. Luckily I am stubborn and go broke before ever quitting.. not really broke I just work more to make up for my mistakes. I decided to go full hydraulic steering after comparing prices. Opens up lots of engine space as well.

It is funny that after weeks of searching threads I only find the GOOD information thread related to my trial last night. That is par for the course... day late, dollar short.

HN6

I started the install... most of my time is spent staring into space while trying to figure it out.

I used the PSC 300 system with a 5 ton pump. I converted a smaller steering wheel. Used original steering shaft.

While i was in there i fixed alternator ear and replaced air pump belt.

Attachments

HN6

All done with hydraulic steering. Drives great. 15 miles on pavement up to 50. Up and down the creek bed a little... snow, water, rock and some soft silt and one fairly steep river bank. Lockers and all 6 wheels made it up and out on 4th try.

Attachments

7bdiver

I'm considering the style of system you did over the other traditional power steering systems out there. 3500 bucks and all that work seems a bit much. Plus all the downtime on the truck. it looks like you could build your setup in parallel, leaving most of the original components in place in case you ever needed to fall back on them.

How much $$ did it end up running you by the time you were finished?

I'm mainly considering this because I plan to bump up to 395's and it will see off-road use. I need to be able to steer the truck more than it steers me.

My main wonder is how responsive is the steering. Say on the road, if you had to swerve to not die, will it turn the wheels fast enough, or is it slow, like most hydraulics?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know enough about the hydraulic cylinder setup to see whether it would be a problem, but where I am a vehicle would not be road legal if the steering function cannot be maintained when the power plant dies. I know - even with conventional power steering the steering box ratio will make it darn hard to turn the wheels, but you still can, when the truck is rolling. Does that work with the ram as well?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks