• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 banks turbo oil dump question???

hokie8358

i bought this turbo from ebay bout month ago and it seems the part that delivers the oil from turbo bearings back to engine is missing. people at banks.com are useless!! maybe you all can give me sum insight and maybe a part number. does it flow to the mechanical fuel pump plate or back into the oil pan? i was going to install an elec. fuel pump. and buy the way it is an orig. 6.2 sidewinder banks turbo. kit is totally complete less this one minor detail>

jdeoliveira74

I want one! can't help on part number though. but there is a couple of threads in here on it I think I rememeber reading that is some oil cooler lines that they re direct but I be wrong!

superburban

Originally, there was a plate that sandwiched between the mechanical fuel pump and the block that had a fitting for returning the oil to the pan. Some folks just weld a fitting onto the oilpan. Easy enough.

bearboley

Ive never seen a plate that sandwiched in between pump and motor, not saying there wasn't any such animal but how would the pump still work longer cam rod or something. I've just used a smallblock chevy fuel pump block off plate easy to find in the junk I mean chrome section or you local autoparts store . Drill a hole then weld a fitting in. Instant turbo drain. Of course you have to use a electric pump then but your where anyhow. Keep the boost below 10 and your headgaskets will thank you.

hokie8358

i ve got 2 kits altogether, the other one has what appears to be a homemade metal drain of sum sorts that goes down and fastens on to the oil pan, fabricated hole in pan of course. i did not know if this was a gale banks factory type set up.
i do have all the working parts from a 6.5 diesel turbo set up(94 model chevy) i see what your referring to crappy. mine looks similiar to your pics. thanks. just tryin to take the most effective road to reliability!

wkbrdngsnw

The option most people take is to replace the fuel pump with an electric one and take a block off plate and weld on a fitting. The banks version is the same thickness as the stock plate but has a tube that comes out turns 90 degrees and barely misses the pump. If your lucky you might be able to braze a 90 degree fitting into the stock plate close enough to still use the stock pump.

hokie8358

not bad idea but close quarters on the pump. i guess my mechanic thats doing it is sitting back weighing his options and to be the most effective sit up. thanks guys as always very helpful!!

wkbrdngsnw

why couldn't you tap into the oil cooler lines?
For the feed it would be ok but the return oil is really hot from being in the turbo and that is counter productive for cooling. Although the flow is still small it goes into the rest of the oiling system and any contaminate from the turbo could be a problem. Its always recommended to dump to the pan so it circulates though the filter before going to the bearings.

Dave87

You wouldn't be able to tap the cooler lines for the return because they have pressure in them.
I went threw the fuel plate. Best way. I will post a picture when I get on my computer later. I called banks for the
oil return plate and they wanted 170 dollars for it. I've heard of guys going threw the pan but not being able to
get it to seal great. (Mustang guys)

panzerwillie

I got one of those plates made a couple off the sample of the first kit i got i made a total of 3 kits , i can sale you
the original one i have it with kit i try to sale a few times but no body being intrested here is a picture of more less
what it looks like PM me if intrested:razz:
IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

southdave

I welded a 3/4 bung on a delete plate, then used an 90 degree AN fitting with a hose barb on it. The drain on the turbo was 5/8 so I add more claps.. Word of caution.. be mindful of where you feed from.. I had AN 3 line feeding mine from above oil cooler line and spun my mains an a rod bearing...I have since resticted it down to 3/16 preasure is up and so is the pryo, it ran cooler before

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks