• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Diesel correct operating temp

AZK5

My truck has been running around 150F on the stock guage. I flushed the radiator and figured I would change the t-stat at the same time as a preventative measure. After searching the different forums I went with an oem 195F s-stat. Now my truck is running arounf 195-210f. What's the optimal temperature for longevity and fuel economy?

Any imput is most appreciated.

John

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard AZK5, I'm sure you will find everything you need to answer your questions about your truck. But please try to take a little time and post your questions in the right forum. This topic should be in the CUCV forum, not the CUCV Hot Rodding and Modification forum. I am going to move it for you.

Also, I know our search feature on this site has a lot to be desired; but I'll bet that any questions you may have, have been asked and answered before (probably many times over). Searching a little bit and reading the forum stickies will almost always answer your questions before you'll need to post the topic.

AZK5

I appreciate the welcome and the advice. I will try to take more time to search. I didn't quite understand the distinction between the two forums. After careful thought I went with the modification forum because my old thermostat wasn't stock. I will do better in the future:)

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I appreciate the welcome and the advice. I will try to take more time to search. I didn't quite understand the distinction between the two forums. After careful thought I went with the modification forum because my old thermostat wasn't stock. I will do better in the future:)
Nah. That's more for major mods like engine & transmission swaps, and the like.

Barrman

The answer depends on your thermostat. If you have the 195°, then 195-205° is where it will probably stay as long as everything is working right. My 6.2 in the M715 lives at 196° once it warms up unless I am pulling a heavy load up hill. This it will creep up to 201-203°.

Your results will vary depending on what thermostat you have, the condition of you radiator and what kind of fan you have.

AZK5

Sorry for the delay in responding. I ended up buying a j code 88 civilian k5 so I have the stock temp gauge. I kept looking for a cucv but they were either way to expensive or to much of a project. I got mine with 115,000 miles, everything works, every light, no leaks, and it has a/c for 1500.

The engine actually seems happier at 195 instead of 160.

Again sorry for posting in the wrong area and not searching more carefully, I was worried that I was going to hurt my engine.

I still think I might go back to a slightly lower temp thermostat, maybe a 180.

What the consensus for the best temp to run?

cliffyp

As I said in the thread DogHead linked to above: According to TM 9-2815-237-34 page 1-4, normal operating temp is 190-230. 230 seems pretty high, but I think there is a reason the stock thermo is 190-195. If 180 was better for the engine it would seem that the engineers would have called for a 180 thermo stock. My truck definitely seems happier at 190 than when I start out and I'm still at 160-170.

BigWill1985

The 6.2 and 6.5 are temperature sensitive engines. As a general rule, you want to maintain the temperature below 210*F. You can run up to around 220*F, but you can encounter problems if it happens more than a couple times. You will find that motors which have been run warm will have stress cracks in between the valve seats, and can also form cracks in between the cylinders and the water jackets.

I worked tirelessly to keep my truck under 205*F all the time and never had any trouble.

Add far as the minimum temp, the best fuel economy is reached around 195*F. Hotter engine helps for a more complete fuel burn, and more energy.

~Will Courtier~

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks