• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 diesel to 454 big block gas burner swap.

CUCVLOVER

Hey everyone this thread is to document my big block swap on my cucv m1008.

thanks again for all the information that was provided in this thread ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?158547-cucv-m1008-6-2-to-454-big-block-swap-questions ).

I am going to put a edelbrock performer intake and 750cfm carburetor, new plugs and wires, probably a new coil, and maybe even paint the engine before I install it. All the emissions stuff will go in the trash, this engine will be allowed to breathe and run. I am going to use the transmission that's in my truck. I am pulling this engine from a 1986 motor home, its a 7.4L carburatered engine with a TH400 hydromatic transmission. I will be using the transmission from my truck with this engine and keeping the trans for a spare. I have the engine ready to pull out of the coach hopefully it will be out by lunch time tomorrow. I will post more pics and updates tomorrow.

Attachments

CUCVLOVER

Engine is out of the coach and on a pallet back at my shop.
I pulled transmission, lift pump, exhaust manifolds, and some more of the useless smog hoses.

Parts list is being put together also.
Edelbrock performer intake, 750cfm edelbrock carburetor, headers, new motor mount, hoses, belts, probably some mounts for the alternator and power steering pump.

Attachments

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not put this engine in before putting a new balancer and front and rear main seals. A lot easier on a stand than in the truck. I have had a balancer spit the rubber out on an '89 1 ton with low miles.

CUCVLOVER

The oil cooler adapter is nice I will be removing it for now though. I will deal with that after ga rally.

I have no idea if it had hydroboost brakes or not, I didn't look for the master cylinder. I was working on engineand transmission and nothing else. Didn't need it so don't care about it.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How big of a job is that?
Not that bad with harmonic balancer remover and installer tool. Never hammer a balancer onto the crank nor use the bolt that holds it on to install or you will pull the threads inside the crank. You can remove bottom pan and front cover to put new front seal in. Then remove rear main cap to install rear main seal. Be sure to torque rear main cap back to specs. Install new gaskets on front cover and the bottom pan. You will be getting new seals and gaskets on the bottom end this way.

86m1028

How big of a job is that?
Not hard at all, just time consuming.
Totally agree with royalflush55, It's MUCH easier on a stand vs trying to do it once in the truck.
Clean it up, maybe a little paint & RESEAL the motor while you have it out.
Keep us posted on the progression.

CUCVLOVER

Well I have been getting some stuff done. I have pulled the factory exhaust off the motor, and have the intake off. I started pulling the 6.2 today. I have the hood off, alts, starter, radiator, wiring unhooked from the engine and should have it out tomorrow.
Hopefully have pics tomorrow

CUCVLOVER

Today I finished pulling the 6.2 out. I then dropped the tank to clean that up. I also started cleaning up the engine bay. Got a lot of the mud and crud off the frame and fenders. Should have the 454 in the hole on Monday or Tuesday.

Attachments

CUCVLOVER

Air cleaner and valve covers and more parts for the big block.

Having to notch the frame for the engine to fit. Lots of stuff has gotten in the way of this project but will hopefully have it in the hole tomorrow.
Decided to go electric fuel pump for more clearance on the block.

Attachments

CUCVLOVER

I've seen vids of that breaker before and it's awesome. I don't have the option of putting the brackets from the coach in this frame because they are a completely different set up. I even bought brand new mounts for a 6.2 to work with this 454 and they are different then the stock diesel mounts. The hole centers top to bottom are longer on the new ones I bought.
So I am going to use the old mounts I had from the 6.2 I think and weld them down.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That works. If it gives you any issues later there is always the ORD crossmember and. mounts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks