• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 fuel filter assembly how does it work?

87J

I have a thirst to know how everything works but dont want to take mine apart until I have to. Cant find much info on it in the manuals, I know the top 2 wires are fuel heater. The schematics show a vaccum switch and water in fuel solenoid but doesnt show how it all works together. What makes the water in fuel light stay on for a couple seconds when ignition is turned on? seems to me like there has to be a timer or module somewhere...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two sensors and one solenoid/relay on the stock CUCv fuel filter.

1. Pressure/vacuum sensor behind the filter - Diagram E-11 - Known to leak and is only used with the STE/ICE diagnostic system. Many have disconnected it and plugged the hole for the sensor
2. Fuel Heater - Diagram E-20 - It is powered by the wiper fuse and is on anytime the key is on
3a. Water-in-Fuel solenoid - Diagram E-1 Gets power when the key is in the START position via the purple/white wire with the black as ground.

E-01 - Water-in-Fuel Solenoid.gif

3b. Water-in-Fuel light - Diagram E-3 and E-4 - I have never taken apart the WIF solenoid but I think this is how it works.

When the solenoid closes it completes the circuit for the light. Power is supplied to the light via the pink/black wire Circuit 139A in diagram E-4. It goes thru the light and on to the solenoid via the yellow 50B wire diagram E-3. (the big IF) If there is water in the fuel then the ground circuit closes and the light comes on.

Power is also supplied via the pink/black wire 39A (diagram E-4 and E-3)

This is a big guess but there may be a timer in the solenoid that turns the light on for a few seconds.

E-03 - Water-in-Fuel.gifE-04 - Water-in-Fuel.gif

Last edited:

87J

Thanks a lot warthog I had been studying the schematics for awhile and came up with similar theory but that diagram you found answers all my questions! I would have never thought there to be a module inside there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks