• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 detuned to a 6.2

CPAPPY

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]2 General Motors, mdl: 12460163-11, Diesel Engines, 6.2 liter, in containers. Unkn working condition.
[/FONT]

armytruck63

I was told once while looking at Humvees at an auction, that there were two versions of the 6.5's. One with more power, and one with cleaner emmisions. This is just what I heard, nothing to back it up.

Chief_919

All the detuned part means is that the fuel rate on the injection pump was turned down so that the 6.5 had the same output as a 6.2 when put in a truck that had a 6.2 originally.

CPAPPY

THESE MOTORS ARE A 2001 . Do you know if these where good blocks . So all i would need to do is turn up the pump to get more output.

CPAPPY

I googled the mdl #
[FONT=CourierNew,Bold][FONT=CourierNew,Bold]
12460163-11 .ENGINE,DIESEL 2001,6.5 LITER 1
DETUNED F0R USE AS 6.2 LITER
REPLACEMENT.........................
UOC:AVY,A11,A13,A14,A15,A20,A24,A25,
A26,A27,B16,B17,B18,HVY,H11,H13,H14,​
H15,H16,H1
[/FONT][/FONT]

Stonepicker1

When you pick-up the engines, take a look at the front left side of the engine at the bottom of the head. I hope it 's not marked "6.2L"

You can't always go by what GL list as part # or NSN's. Did you click on the NSN ? It's listed as a 6.2L.

The engine "can" may have a different numbers then what the engine really is.

Think about it....New engine (6.5) is removed and installed in HMMVW. Old engine(6.2) is placed in the engine can that the new engine came in. Numbers on the can were not changed to reflect a 6.2L. It is then turned into DRMO for sale.

AMX

Seriously, the term "detuned" usually refers to minor tuning modifications intended to reduce the maximum power output. Usually a tradeoff , less power for more longevity.

CPAPPY

Yes, that true . I have some doubt now that i have looked at some # . Well I will find out Wed. morning when I pickup the motors.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seriously, getting a good, running 6.2/6.5 from GL is no better than a 50/50 chance at best. Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.
The motor shown here looked clean enough to eat off of and the can was spotless inside. The motor also had a window in #7 cylinder into the water jacket.

Attachments

Chief_919

Why would a 2001 6.5 be detuned to 6.2 output? Were 6.2s hard to come by at one point?

6.2 production stopped in the early 90's. There was still a need for engines meeting the 6.2 specs for HMMWV's, and it was far cheaper and easier to just turn the fuel down on 6.5's that were in production than keep two lines open.

The military was rebuilding 6.2's as well up until a few years ago, but now when a 6.2 is replaced it will always get a 6.5 in its place, and the 6.2's will not be rebuilt any longer.

Chief_919

OK, looking at your auction- the first picture clearly shows an 80's GM sticker on the valve cover. That makes me 99% certain that one is a 6.2.

The second one has black paint on the intake manifold. That tells me it is a government rebuild. 99% sure based on that it will also be a 6.2.

The good news is now that 6.2's are no longer rebuilt, they will be removed and sold even for something easily repairable like a head gasket.

hre513

Seriously, getting a good, running 6.2/6.5 from GL is no better than a 50/50 chance at best. Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.
The motor shown here looked clean enough to eat off of and the can was spotless inside. The motor also had a window in #7 cylinder into the water jacket.
:shock: That looks like a GEP 6.5.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks